Yukon temporary foreign worker program scrapped

The Yukon's stand-alone temporary foreign worker program is on its way out the door. The one-year pilot project will not be renewed by the federal government.

The Yukon’s stand-alone temporary foreign worker program is on its way out the door.

The one-year pilot project, which launched on August 1, 2013, will not be renewed by the federal government.

The stand-alone program differs from the national temporary foreign worker program and also the Yukon Nominee Program. Its mandate was to bring short-term workers into the territory for no longer than 12 months. The nominee program is for foreign workers seeking permanent residency. Each of the programs are federal but administered by the Yukon government.

The stand-alone program was launched to combat labour needs in the tourism and hospitality, oil and gas, mineral exploration and mining sectors. Employers were not able to extend their offers to temporary foreign workers until jobs had been advertised to Canadians for four weeks.

Rick Karp, president of the Whitehorse Chamber of Commerce, was the first employer to put in an application for the pilot program and brought in one worker to Hair Sensations, a business he owns with his wife. He expressed concern about the scuttling of the pilot project and changes to the federal temporary foreign workers program. At Hair Sensations, seven of the eight employees are foreign workers.

“In Yukon, in the North in general, immigration is a key component to filling vacant jobs,” he said.

“Especially as we move forward into a time when mining activities are going to come back and tourism is going to grow, retail sales and construction and everything else will grow as well. It all works together.”

Karp said he expects that growth to occur in the next two to five years.

But not everyone sees the end of the program as bad news.

“We believe this is a good day for workers in the Yukon,” said Vikki Quocksister, president of the Yukon Federation of Labour.

“Overall the temporary foreign worker program in the Yukon and all of Canada, it creates a slave labour position, in that the workers coming in have no rights and they are tied to their employer. We’re not for it at all.”

Quocksister acknowledged that unlike other Canadian jurisdictions, the Yukon program worked closely with the Yukon Workers’ Compensation Health and Safety Board to ensure compliance with the program. Yukon was the first in Canada to take those measures.

Quocksister hopes the workers that have been brought into the territory through the program will be able to switch over to the nominee program and maintains that the temporary foreign worker program “isn’t necessary.”

“I’m still calling for the federal program to be trashed,” she said. “I think we can come up with something better for workers.”

The nominee program, which launched in 2006, has brought about 700 workers into Yukon. The program allows the Yukon government to nominate potential migrants based on economic priorities, labour market conditions, and assess candidates that have a strong likelihood of “successfully establishing themselves in Yukon society.”

The growth of the federal temporary foreign worker program in Yukon has been steady since 2008, when it brought in 234 workers. It peaked in 2011, with 271 temporary workers. That number fell to 256 in 2012, according to Citizenship and Immigration Canada.

Last month, the federal government announced nationwide changes to the temporary foreign worker program, which has resulted in backlash from the business community across the country.

The reforms hike processing fees for employers, shorten work contracts and also place a cap on the percentage of immigrant workers a business can employ and the total number of hours they can work.

Despite the protest of the business community, Canada’s labour shortage may be less severe than government statistics indicate, according to the C. D. Howe Institute.

Speaking from Prince Edward Island on Tuesday afternoon, Elaine Taylor said the Yukon government learned the stand-alone program would not be renewed when the announcements concerning the federal program were made.

Taylor is currently attending a meeting with federal, territorial and provincially elected officials in regards to temporary foreign worker program.

She said the territorial government is seeking clarity about what the changes mean for the Yukon but said they won’t affect the nominee program.

The Yukon government can continue to receive applications for the TFWP until the end of the month and all permits already issued will be honoured until their closing date. Taylor said the government had approved 20 applicants so far.

Federal Employment Minister Jason Kenney and Immigration Minister Chris Alexander said they made changes to the national program to discourage abuse by employers, particularly in the food services sector, but Taylor said the Yukon government hadn’t received any complaints.

“There were a number of fundamental differences between our own program and the federal program,” she said. “We had on-site monitoring by the Department of Education and the Yukon Workers’ Compensation Health and Safety Board, just to help ensure compliance and prevent program misuse.”

Taylor said they will work with the federal government to create a new arrangement that’s a “better fit.”

“What that looks like, we’re scant on details,” she said.

Contact Sam Riches at

sam@yukon-news.com

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Dr. Brendan Hanley, Yukon’s chief medical officer of health, speaks to media at a press conference about COVID-19 in Whitehorse on March 30. The Yukon government announce the first COVID-19 related death in a press conference announcement Friday morning. (Crystal Schick/Yukon News file)
UPDATED: Yukon announces first COVID-19-related death

The person was an older Watson Lake resident with underlying health conditions, officials said

Wyatt's World for Oct. 30.
WYATT’S WORLD

Wyatt’s World for Oct. 30

Health Minister Pauline Frost insists no one who shows up at the Whitehorse Emergency Shelter for dinner will go without a meal, despite no drop-in dinner service being offered starting on Nov. 1. (Crystal Schick/Yukon News file)
Non-profits concerned as Whitehorse Emergency Shelter ends drop-in dinner service

Minister Pauline Frost insists everyone who needs one ‘will be provided with a meal.’

Housing construction continues in the Whistle Bend subdivision in Whitehorse on Oct. 29. Affordability challenges is being described as being among the most pressing issues facing housing markets throughout the north in a report released Oct. 29 by the Canadian Mortgage and Housing Corporation. (Crystal Schick/Yukon News)
Home, rent prices increasing in Whitehorse, northern housing report says

Affordability continues to be a major challenge, report says

Premier Sandy Silver talks to media in Whitehorse on March 19. According to the premier, who is also the finance minister, the Yukon government ran a $2.6 million deficit in the 2019-2020 fiscal year, instead of the surplus it had originally predicted. (Crystal Schick/Yukon News file)
Yukon government ran a $2.6 million deficit in 2019-2020

Deficit attributed to lower-than-expected revenue, higher expenses on health and social side

Catherine Constable, the city’s manager of legislative services, speaks at a council and management roundtable discussion Sept. 26, 2019. During an Oct. 29 meeting, Constable highlighted a number of potential changes to the City of Whitehorse procedures bylaw. (Crystal Schick/Yukon News file)
Work on City of Whitehorse procedures bylaw continues

Officials will look at procedures for other municipalities

Premier Sandy Silver, left, and Chief Medical Officer of Health Dr. Brendan Hanley at a COVID-19 press conference in Whitehorse on Aug. 26. Hanley said the source of the outbreak in Watson Lake may not ever be found, but contact tracing in the community continues. (Alistair Maitland Photography)
New Whitehorse COVID-19 case is unrelated to Watson Lake cluster, officials say

Chief medical officer of health says avoid indoor Halloween parties, monitor for symptoms

Joel Krahn/Yukon News file Whitehorse City Hall.
Whitehorse city council, briefly

Updates on matters before city council on Oct. 26

An online fundraising campaign in support of the six-year-old boy, Edgar Colby, who was hit by a car on Range Road Oct. 25 has raised more than $62,000 in a day. (Submitted)
GoFundMe for Whitehorse boy hit by car on Range Road raises more than $62k in a day

The boy’s aunt says the family is “very grateful” for the support they’ve received from the community

A proposed Official Community Plan amendment would designate a 56.3 hectare piece of land in Whistle Bend currently designated as green space, as urban residential use. Whitehorse city council passed first reading on a bylaw for the designation change at its Oct. 26 meeting, prompting an upcoming public hearing on Nov. 23 ahead of second reading on Dec. 7. (Courtesy City of Whitehorse)
Local contractors will be given an advantage on a contract for the design and construction services that will see a new reception building at Robert Service Campground decided city councillors during the Oct. 26 council meeting. (Crystal Schick/Yukon News file)
Local firms will get advantage on contract for new Robert Service Campground building

Yukon-based companies competing for contract for new reception building will receive 20 extra points

Fallen trees due to strong winds are seen leaning on to power lines which caused some power outages around the territory on Oct. 26. (Courtesy of ATCO)
Wind knocks out power around the Yukon

High winds on Oct. 26 knocked out power to Faro, parts of Whitehorse and beyond

The Yukon government is asking for all claims in a lawsuit over the Takhini elk herd be struck by the court. (Mike Thomas/Yukon News file)
Yukon government asks for Takhini elk lawsuit to be struck

The Yukon government is asking for all claims in a lawsuit over… Continue reading

Most Read