Worker deaths too high: WCB

“We’ve had three deaths in 2013 and to date in 2014 we’ve had four,” said Mark Pike, chairman of the Yukon Workers’ Compensation Health and Safety Board.

If current trends continue, 2014 could well be the deadliest year on record for Yukon workers.

“We’ve had three deaths in 2013 and to date in 2014 we’ve had four,” said Mark Pike, chairman of the Yukon Workers’ Compensation Health and Safety Board.

“As a board we’re asking ourselves what do we need to do better? If that trend was to continue, and we’ll pray to God it doesn’t, we would likely set a record for workplace deaths in a single year,” he said.

Pike offered these comments during the release of the board’s annual report, which announced the organization’s financial standings and average assessment rate for 2015.

On the financial side, the news was all positive.

The organization has an accumulated surplus of $14 million, up $5.5 million over last year, Pike said.

“This success is due to a large degree to the returns on investments from 2013. The investment return was almost double what it was in 2012,” Pike said.

He cautioned that given the volatility of global market “we need to be aware that can’t be achieved every year. We need to be prepared for that,” but even so “the success of the past several years has left our organization in a good position to weather any storms that do arise.”

Yukon businesses covered by the board will pay an average assessment rate of $1.90 per $100 of payroll, Pike said. That represents a significant drop in the past five years, down from more than $3 per $100 of payroll in 2009.

There were slightly fewer workers covered this year than last, and accepted claims were down as well to 974 from 1,063. The number of overall claims filed is down 228 from last year, though hearing officer reviews of claims nearly doubled, from 27 to 53.

Injury costs have risen this year, Pike said, in part because of changes to things like presumptive cancer legislation for firefighters.

In total, the total compensation fund sits at $202 million, up from $174 million last year, said Joy Waters, the board’s CEO.

“This means there is more than enough money to cover our current and future costs,” she said.

“All of this is good news, but there are also some troubling trends … seven deaths in 17 months is far too many for a jurisdiction of our size,” she said.

“I implore all of us to better identify hazards, and remain conscious of using the proper equipment. Do everything we can to look out for ourselves and each other,” Pike said.

Contact Jesse Winter at jessew@yukon-news.com

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

YukonU president excited about institutions potential

Mike DeGagné took over as Yukon University president July 2

Getting back to the classroom

Plans outlined to return students to class in the fall

UPDATE: Police accused of using excessive force during Whitehorse arrest

Alberta Serious Incident Response Team to investitage allegations of excessive force by the RCMP

WYATT’S WORLD

Wyatt’s World for July 10, 2020

Whitehorse RCMP seek assistance to ID sexual assault suspect

Whitehorse RCMP are warning the public to be “extra vigilant” after receiving… Continue reading

RCMP investigating forcible confinement and sexual assault case

Whitehorse RCMP announced in a press release on July 8 that three… Continue reading

City hall, briefly

A look at decisions made by Whitehorse city council this week

Air North grounds Ottawa route for the season

Passengers will be given a 24-month travel credit

COMMENTARY: Yukon’s healthy land and forests are essential services

Joe Copper Jack & Katarzyna Nowak Special to the News As essential… Continue reading

Tr’ondëk Hwëch’in schedule byelection for chief

The byelection to select the next Tr’ondëk Hwëch’in chief will happen on… Continue reading

Carcross/Tagish First Nation election recount called off

Carcross/Tagish First Nation’s plans to hold a vote recount in a tight… Continue reading

Today’s mailbox: COVID reopening

Letter to the editor published July 3

Most Read