Man guilty of incest gets eight years

A man who confined his family to a remote cabin and sexually abused his teenage daughter for three years has been sentenced to eight years in prison.

A man who confined his family to a remote cabin and sexually abused his teenage daughter for three years has been sentenced to eight years in prison.

The 45-year-old can not be named in order to protect his wife and three daughters.

He faced 22 charges for his actions, including producing and possessing child pornography, assault with a weapon, sexual assault, and wanton disregard for the life or safety of a minor.

He pleaded guilty to seven of them last year, including incest, assault, corrupting the morals of minors, careless storage of firearms and forcible confinement.

In 2007, the man took his three daughters, all under the age of 18, to a cabin 150 kilometres north of the nearest community.

He cut off all communication to any extended family and repeatedly assaulted and engaged in various forms of sexual activity with his eldest daughter.

He discussed these activities with his younger daughters, leading them to believe they were correct and, in some cases, sanctioned by God, the pre-sentencing report said.

“She was making me fall in love with her,” the man said of his oldest daughter in his early confessions.

He had an uncontrollable anger towards her, he said, adding he believed she had power over him.

He hoped “he could beat the evil out of (her),” the report quoted.

Throughout the three years, the man is also accused of forcing his eldest daughter to produce pornographic videos for him.

Her attempts to destroy the videos would lead to beatings.

Some of the abuse is alleged to have happened with weapons, like a wooden board, the court documents stated.

“No pain or expense is too great if it teaches us to be free of sin and gets us eventually into heaven,” the man is quoted as telling his daughter while burning himself repeatedly.

The man has been in custody since December 2010 when his wife reported him to the RCMP.

With credit for time served, he has five and a half years left on his sentence.

Contact Jacqueline Ronson at

jronson@yukon-news.com

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Dr. Brendan Hanley, Yukon’s chief medical officer of health, speaks at a press conference in Whitehorse on March 30. Hanley announced three more COVID-19 cases in a release on Nov. 21. (Crystal Schick/Yukon News file)
Three more COVID-19 cases, new exposure notice announced

The Yukon’s Chief Medical Officer of Health, Dr. Brendan Hanley, announced three… Continue reading

Yukonomist Keith Halliday
Yukonomist: COVID-19 strikes another blow at high-school students

They don’t show up very often in COVID-19 case statistics, but they… Continue reading

The Cornerstone housing project under construction at the end of Main Street in Whitehorse on Nov. 19. Community Services Minister John Streicker said he will consult with the Yukon Contractors Association after concerns were raised in the legislature about COVID-19 isolation procedures for Outside workers at the site. (Crystal Schick/Yukon News)
Concerns raised about alternate self-isolation plans for construction

Minister Streicker said going forward, official safety plans should be shared across a worksite

The Yukon’s Chief Medical Officer of Health Dr. Brendan Hanley, pictured at a press conference in October, announced three new cases of COVID-19 on Nov. 20 as well as a new public exposure notice. (Crystal Schick/Yukon News file)
New COVID-19 cases, public exposure notice announced

The new cases have all been linked to previous cases

Beatrice Lorne was always remembered by gold rush veterans as the ‘Klondike Nightingale’. (Yukon Archives/Maggies Museum Collection)
History Hunter: Beatrice Lorne — The ‘Klondike Nightingale’

In June of 1929, 11 years after the end of the First… Continue reading

Samson Hartland is the executive director of the Yukon Chamber of Mines. The Yukon Chamber of Mines elected a new board of directors during its annual general meeting held virtually on Nov. 17. (Joel Krahn/Yukon News file)
Yukon Chamber of Mines elects new board

The Yukon Chamber of Mines elected a new board of directors during… Continue reading

The Yukon Hospital Corporation has released its annual report for 2019-20, and — unsurprisingly — hospital visitations were down. (Crystal Schick/Yukon News file)
Annual report says COVID-19 had a large impact visitation numbers at Whitehorse General

The Yukon Hospital Corporation has released its annual report for 2019-20, and… Continue reading

Whitehorse City Hall. (Joel Krahn/Yukon News file)
City hall, briefly

A look at decisions made by Whitehorse city council this week

City council was closed to public on March 23 due to gathering rules brought on by the COVID-19 pandemic. The council is now hoping there will be ways to improve access for residents to directly address council, even if it’s a virtual connection. (Crystal Schick/Yukon News file)
Solution sought to allow for more public presentations with council

Teleconference or video may provide opportunities, Roddick says

Megan Waterman, director of the Lastraw Ranch, is using remediated placer mine land in the Dawson area to raise local meat in a new initiative undertaken with the Yukon government’s agriculture branch. (Submitted)
Dawson-area farm using placer miner partnership to raise pigs on leased land

“Who in their right mind is going to do agriculture at a mining claim? But this made sense.”

Riverdale residents can learn more details of the City of Whitehorse’s plan to FireSmart a total of 24 hectares in the area of Chadburn Lake Road and south of the Hidden Lakes trail at a meeting on Nov. 26. (Ian Stewart/Yukon News file)
Meeting will focus on FireSmart plans

Riverdale residents will learn more details of the City of Whitehorse’s FireSmarting… Continue reading

The City of Whitehorse is planning to borrow $10 million to help pay for the construction of the operations building (pictured), a move that has one concillor questioning why they don’t just use reserve funds. (Crystal Schick/Yukon News)
Councillor questions borrowing plan

City of Whitehorse would borrow $10 million for operations building

Most Read