Inquest into carbon monoxide deaths begins

John Klemenz fought back tears as he described the last conversation he had with his friend, Bradley Rusk. "Brad was quite enthusiastic about work and really looking forward to seeing me," he said.

John Klemenz fought back tears as he described the last conversation he had with his friend, Bradley Rusk.

“Brad was quite enthusiastic about work and really looking forward to seeing me,” he said.

Klemenz was coming to Whitehorse from his home in Calgary to visit his kids, who live in Whitehorse. He always stayed with the Rusks at their house on Centennial Street.

“It was pretty much my home away from home,” said Klemenz.

When he arrived on Jan. 25, the whole family was sick with what they thought was the flu. Klemenz decided to find somewhere else to stay.

It was a decision that may have saved his life.

The entire household – Bradley Rusk, 45; his wife Valerie, 37; their son Gabriel, 13; their daughter Rebekah, 11; and their friend Donald McNamee, 47, who rented a room in the basement – were found dead four days later from carbon monoxide poisoning.

The coroner’s inquest into their deaths began Monday with a harrowing account from those who arrived first on the scene on Jan. 29, 2012.

Family friend Ed Lockington drove to the house that morning to check on the family.

He knew they had been sick, and while it wasn’t uncommon for them to go into “lock-down” when they were ill, he started to worry when they didn’t answer the phone.

As soon as he got to the door, he knew something was seriously wrong.

“I smelled this acrid smell,” he said.

He had already knocked on the door but wasn’t waiting for an answer now. Running around to back of the house he kicked in the basement door.

The smoke was thick

“You couldn’t see five feet,” he said. “It smelled like burnt diesel.”

Lockington dashed inside and up the stairs to find his friends Valerie and Bradley dead in their living room.

By the time the fire department arrived, RCMP and paramedics were already on the scene.

Three firefighters, Capt. Morley MacKay, Scott MacFarlane and Paul Taylor, entered the house first.

As soon as they stepped through the basement doorway, MacFarlane’s gas detector went into high alert.

“I’ve never seen the alarm go off like that,” said MacKay a 24-year veteran of the Whitehorse Fire Department.

As MacKay and MacFarlane made their way upstairs they noticed leaves littering the floor. All the plants in the house were dead.

So were the Rusks and McNamee.

Soot covered everything in the house.

The fire marshal’s report into the deaths found the old masonry chimney had been completely blocked by ice, causing exhaust from the oil-fired burner to flow back into the house.

It’s not clear how long fumes had been seeping into the house, but everyone who lived there had been feeling ill for weeks.

When Bradley’s mother, Jane Rusk, came to visit over the holidays, McNamee, Gabriel and Rebekah were all sick with what they thought was the flu.

Jane ended up becoming so ill that she spent nine days in Whitehorse General Hospital before returning to Alberta on Jan. 11.

Valerie went to the emergency room herself on Jan. 22.

Dr. Gunnar Tirschmann treated her.

The symptoms that Valerie complained of, headache and nausea, were very “non-specific,” he said. And during flu season, very common.

She wasn’t showing any of the telltale signs of carbon monoxide poisoning, like difficulty speaking, said Tirschmann.

Even if he had suspected it, at the time, the hospital lacked the equipment to test for it.

Sending a blood sample to Vancouver probably wouldn’t have shown anything, since carbon monoxide dissipates very quickly, said Tirschmann.

Other visitors to the home experienced similar symptoms.

On Jan. 23, Lockington’s kids spent the afternoon at the Rusk’s home.

They went there every day after school, he said.

When he came to pick them up at 5 p.m. both felt sick.

His daughter was light-headed and unbalanced, but he chalked it up to the flu.

“The entire neighbourhood had the flu, it was hard to recognize the difference,” he said.

By 11 p.m. his kids felt better, but the Rusks weren’t.

It had become so bad that Valerie Rusk called the doctors office in tears on Jan 24.

“She was incredibly upset,” said Shellie Young, the office assistant at Dr. Shoshtari’s Horwood’s Mall Medical Clinic. “(Valerie) said he had never been this sick in her entire life.”

In the background, Young could hear Bradley say that they had tried to take Rebekah to the emergency room but left because there was a six-hour wait to see a doctor.

They made an appointment for 4 p.m. the next day but the Rusks never showed up.

When Young called the house at 4:45 p.m. it was McNamee who answered.

He said that everyone was asleep.

She told him to let them rest and they would reschedule the appointment.

They never did.

The inquest is scheduled to wrap up by Thursday, after which the six-member jury will determine the manner of the deaths and have the option of making recommendations to prevent similar deaths in the future.

Contact Josh Kerr at

joshk@yukon-news.com

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Benjamin Poudou, Mount MacIntyre’s ski club manager, poses for a photo in the club’s ski rental area on Nov. 16. The club has sold around 1,850 passes already this year, compared to 1067 passes on Oct. 31 last year. (Crystal Schick/Yukon News)
Early season ski pass sales up as Yukoners prepare for pandemic winter

Season passe sales at Mount McIntyre for cross-country skiing are up by around 60 per cent this year

The City of Whitehorse will be spending $655,000 to upgrade the waste heat recovery system at the Canada Games Centre. (Crystal Schick/Yukon News file)
New waste heat recovery system coming to the CGC

Council approves $655,000 project

Yukon First Nation Education Directorate education advocates and volunteers help to sort and distribute Christmas hamper grocery boxes outside Elijah Smith Elementary School on Feb. 23. (Rebecca Bradford Andrew/Submitted)
First Nation Education Directorate begins Christmas hamper program

Pick-ups for hampers are scheduled at local schools

Cyrine Candido, cashier, right, wipes down the new plexi-glass dividers at Superstore on March 28, before it was commonplace for them to wear masks. The Yukon government is relaunching the Yukon Essential Workers Income Support Program as the second wave of COVID-19 begins to take place in the territory. (Crystal Schick/Yukon News file)
Yukon Essential Workers Income Support Program extended to 32 weeks

More than 100 businesses in the territory applied for the first phase of the program

Cody Pederson of the CA Storm walks around LJ’s Sabres player Clay Plume during the ‘A’ division final of the 2019 Yukon Native Hockey Tournament. The 2021 Yukon Native Hockey Tournament, scheduled for March 25 to 28 in Whitehorse next year, was officially cancelled on Nov. 24 in a press release from organizers. (John Hopkins-Hill/Yukon News file)
2021 Yukon Native Hockey Tournament cancelled

The 2021 Yukon Native Hockey Tournament, scheduled for March 25 to 28… Continue reading

Lev Dolgachov/123rf
The Yukon’s Information and Privacy Commissioner stressed the need to safeguard personal information while shopping this holiday season in a press release on Nov. 24.
Information and Privacy Commissioner issues reminder about shopping

The Yukon’s Information and Privacy Commissioner Diane McLeod-McKay stressed the need to… Continue reading

Keith Lay speaks at a city council meeting on Dec. 4, 2017. Lay provided the lone submission to council on the city’s proposed $33 million capital spending plan for 2021 on Nov. 23, taking issue with a number of projects outlined. (Crystal Schick/Yukon News file)
Resident raises issues with city’s capital budget

Council to vote on budget in December

Beatrice Lorne was always remembered by gold rush veterans as the ‘Klondike Nightingale’. (Yukon Archives/Maggies Museum Collection)
History Hunter: Beatrice Lorne — The ‘Klondike Nightingale’

In June of 1929, 11 years after the end of the First… Continue reading

Samson Hartland is the executive director of the Yukon Chamber of Mines. The Yukon Chamber of Mines elected a new board of directors during its annual general meeting held virtually on Nov. 17. (Joel Krahn/Yukon News file)
Yukon Chamber of Mines elects new board

The Yukon Chamber of Mines elected a new board of directors during… Continue reading

The Yukon Hospital Corporation has released its annual report for 2019-20, and — unsurprisingly — hospital visitations were down. (Crystal Schick/Yukon News file)
Annual report says COVID-19 had a large impact visitation numbers at Whitehorse General

The Yukon Hospital Corporation has released its annual report for 2019-20, and… Continue reading

Whitehorse City Hall. (Joel Krahn/Yukon News file)
City hall, briefly

A look at decisions made by Whitehorse city council this week

Most Read