Yukon’s fire marshall has determined that a fire in Mount Lorne last month was likely started by the family dogs, who were playing with matches.
A Yukon couple came home on Nov. 25 to find their house filled with thick smoke, said Dennis Berry.
By the time firefighters arrived the fire had extinguished itself, and they worked to put out the hot spots.
“We were able to determine that there was a box of matches that had been beside a dog bed,” he said.
“The investigators ruled it accidental, but the most logical conclusion at this point that we could come up with is that the dogs, playing with matches, chewing those strike-anywhere matches, set fire to the dog bed, which then set fire to the contents of the room.”
No people or dogs were hurt in the fire. The dogs left the home through a dog door, said Berry.
“Everybody should be planning for a home-escape from a fire, and in this case the dogs clearly had their own home-escape plan.”
This case shows how easily it is for fires to accidentally start, he said.
“Really what I want people to do is to start practising home safety.”
Everyone should make sure they have working smoke and carbon monoxide detectors, and have an evacuation plan, said Berry.
Over the holiday season, make sure candles don’t go unattended, keep the Christmas tree watered and make sure Christmas lights are in good condition, he said.
“We’re home more during the Christmas holidays. Your kids are home from school, we’re lighting candles for ambiance, we’re cooking in the kitchen.
“I go to a lot of tragedies in my job, and really I want this Christmas season to be safe for everyone.”