Out of food, a Dutch walker finally calls it quits on the Quest trail

CIRCLE Wilco van den Akkar walked into the Circle checkpoint on Friday. He’d been without food for a week.


Wilco van den Akkar walked into the Circle checkpoint on Friday.

He’d been without food for a week.

Planning to walk the entire Yukon Quest trail, the Dutch adventurer left Fairbanks on January 19th.

It was warm and the first 160-kilometre stretch to the Chena Hot Springs checkpoint went smoothly.

In fact, it was a little boring, said van den Akkar, who was pulling his supplies in a sled.

“The checkpoint wasn’t open yet and you didn’t see anybody on the trail — there was no action.”

The boredom didn’t last long.

After he left Chena, the trail grew progressively softer and patches of deep overflow forced the fit 32-year-old to repeatedly put on and take off his overshoes.

At points, he even needed snowshoes.

It was just below freezing when he started climbing toward Rosebud Summit, the first major hurdle mushers face on the trail.

By the time van den Akkar reached the 1,092-metre peak, it was dark and a storm was rolling in.

“I didn’t see it coming,” he said.

The storm came in fast and van den Akkar, who had dressed light for the climb, wasn’t prepared.

It was blowing so hard “I couldn’t even see my own hands,” he said.

“And I couldn’t do anything with my gear because if I opened my sled it would have all blown away.”

Van den Akkar’s hands started going numb almost immediately.

“I had to get down or I would freeze,” he said.

He knew the trail dropped into a bowl, and headed down accordingly.

And hour later he was out of the wind, dug a snow hole and set up his tent.

The next morning, a quick look at the maps and GPS confirmed his suspicions.

He’d descended in to the wrong valley.

It took him two days to get back out.

“The snow was up to my waist and trying to pull the sled … I was going about half-a-mile an hour.

“I was constantly falling on trees under the snow and couldn’t push myself back up because the snow was soft — it took a lot of energy.”

He finally reached a creek bed and followed it.

“I knew there was a road to the north,” he said.

“I didn’t know how far it was but I headed north.”

Three days later he hit the Steese Highway that leads to Mile 101 dog drop, Central and eventually Circle.

Deterred by his stint on Rosebud and because he was behind schedule, van den Akkar decide to walk the highway around Eagle Summit, which is infamous for high winds and storms.

He joined the Quest trail again at Central and followed it 119 kilometres to Circle.

Van den Akkar had mailed himself food rations and fresh batteries for his GPS, personal tracking device and satellite phone at various post offices en route.

But when he arrived in Circle late Friday evening, the post office was closed.

“I couldn’t wait until Monday for it to open,” he said, citing his tight 30-mile-a-day schedule.

So, van den Akkar bought some food at the Circle store, got additional provisions and batteries from a local German he met and headed out on the Yukon River toward Eagle, 256 kilometres away.

He was roughly one day behind schedule and planned to be in Eagle five or six days later.

But he’d never see the tiny Yukon River community.

The trailbreakers had been through several days before, and although the trail was rough, van den Akkar was making decent time.

“It was cold, but as long as you have the right clothes and keep moving it’s not a problem,” he said.

After he passed Slaven’s Cabin, 93 kilometres from Circle, the trail got worse.

There was jumble ice and patches of fast-moving open water.

“It scared me,” he said. “I was not used to a river like this.”

Van den Akkar had walked rivers before. He’s competed in the Iditaski, where competitors walk, ski or bike the Iditarod trail. In fact, he’d won it in 2006.

“I was only the seventh person in the world to complete it on foot,” he said.

It was after competing in the Yukon Arctic Ultra, that van den Akkar got the crazy idea to walk the Quest trail.

“I heard about the Quest and just thought I’d try the whole trail, not for competition, but just to do it.”

Despite the jumble ice pushing his sled forward and pulling him back until “he felt like an old man,” van den Akkar continued on.

But just after he passed another cabin on the Kandik River, 40 kilometres past Slaven’s, the trailbreakers had turned around.

“There was just a big loop and no more trail,” he said.

He spent the night in the public-use-cabin and called his girlfriend in the Netherlands the next day by satellite phone.

She phoned the Quest office to find out when the trailbreakers were expected to open the route to Eagle.

Anywhere from three days to a week, was the reply.

Not ready to call it quits, van den Akkar decided to try breaking trail.

“But it was impossible, the river was too icy and bumpy and it was minus 60,” he said.

He was afraid he’d end up falling through the ice into the river.

His flimsy tent was nothing more than a wind shelter, van den Akkar was running low on fuel and his food was almost gone.

“By the time I reached the Kandik River it has been six days and I was almost out of fuel,” he said.

If things had gone as planned, he should have been in Eagle by then.

Without fuel van den Akkar would not be able to melt water.

“Without food the body can do OK,” he said.

“But without water …”

He waited a few more days at the cabin, cutting firewood to stay warm and keep busy.

Every day he phoned his girlfriend.

But the news got worse and worse.

“It looked like the trailbreakers would not be coming for 10 days,” he said.

Out of food, van den Akkar decided to head back to Slaven’s after he heard an airplane might be coming to the cabin to drop off people and supplies.

But when he got to Slaven’s the next day, there was no one around.

The planes were grounded because it was minus 65.

Almost out of batteries, van den Akkar had to stop making calls.

However, he did manage to find some fuel for his stove at Slaven’s.

Still without food, van den Akkar knew he had to do something. So, he started the three-day trek back to Circle.

When he arrived, all he could fit in his stomach was two eggs.

“Your body adapts,” he said.

“And my stomach was so small.”

On Monday, he was still stuck in Circle milling around the checkpoint looking for a ride to Whitehorse.

Originally, he’d hoped to make it to Dawson in time to continue with his trek, but after looking at his maps and schedule, he realized it was impossible.

“I already took almost seven weeks off work,” he said.

“I’m disappointed, but I know it’s out of my hands.

“I tried every option down to nothing, and I don’t want to risk my life.”

After giving up his career as sprint swimmer on the Netherlands’ national team, van den Akkar joined the army.

“I wanted to do sports, be outside, and travel the world, and the army seemed to be the way to do that,” he said.

He joined the infantry, and soon realized why he’d excelled as a sprint swimmer.

“I hate long-distance training,” he said.

“Especially running and walking.”

In every infantry exercise, van den Akkar ended up last. And after a year of that, he got fed up.

He started training and ended up running a marathon.

“But I didn’t like simply running on roads,” he said.

“I like walking with a pack and maps.”

He went on to run several races in the Sahara Desert, in the extreme heat.

“Because I don’t like heat,” he said.

Then, he found his niche and started racing in the snow.

“And it all started because I was a bad long distance runner and walker,” he said with a grin.

Van den Akkar finally found a ride on Monday night, with musher Brent Sass’s father/handler.

He is headed to Whitehorse to meet up with his girlfriend, spend a few days in a cabin on Lake Laberge and go mushing.

“You know when you do things like this that they can go wrong,” he said.

“Sometimes you’re lucky.

“But you learn more from disappointing things.

“Sometime you have to fall very hard to get stronger.”

Just Posted

Chief Medical Officer of Health Dr. Brendan Hanley announced 29 new COVID-19 cases on June 19 and community transmission among unvaccinated individuals. (Yukon News file)
Yukon logs record-high 29 new COVID-19 cases

F.H. Collins prom attendees and some Porter Creek Grade 9 students are instructed to self-isolate as community transmission sweeps through unvaccinated populations

Crystal Schick/ Yukon News A former residential school in the Kaska Dena community of Lower Post will be demolished on June 21. Crystal Schick/ Yukon News
Lower Post residential school demolition postponed

On June 21, the old residential school in Lower Post will be demolished and new ground on a multi-cultural centre will be broken

Willow Brewster, a paramedic helping in the COVID-19 drive-thru testing centre, holds a swab used for the COVID-19 test moments before using it on Nov. 24. The Yukon government is reopening the drive-thru option on June 18. (Crystal Schick/Yukon News)
Drive-up COVID-19 testing opening June 18 in Whitehorse

The drive-up testing will be open from 6:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. everyday and increase testing capacity by 33 spots

A draft plan has been released by the Dawson Regional Use Planning commission on June 15. Julien Gignac/Yukon News
Draft plan released by the Dawson Regional Land Use Planning Commission

Dawson Regional Land Use Commission releases draft plan, Government of Yukon withdraws additional lands from mineral staking in the planning region

Yukonomist Keith Halliday
Yukonomist: Let them live in trailers

“I found Rome a city of bricks and left it a city… Continue reading

Whitehorse City Hall (Yukon News file)
City news, briefly

A look at decisions made by Whitehorse city council at its June 14 meeting

Murray Arsenault sits in the drivers seat of his 1975 Bricklin SV1 in Whitehorse on June 16. (Stephanie Waddell/Yukon News)
Bringing the 1975 Bricklin north

Murray Arsenault remembers his dad’s Bricklin, while now driving his own

A presumptive COVID case was found at Seabridge Gold’s 3 Aces project. (file photo)
Presumptive COVID-19 case reported at mine in southeast Yukon

A rapid antigen rest found a presumptive COVID case on an incoming individual arriving at the 3Aces project

Jonathan Antoine/Cabin Radio
Flooding in Fort Simpson on May 8.
Fort Simpson asked for military help. Two people showed up.

FORT SIMPSON—Residents of a flooded Northwest Territories village expected a helping hand… Continue reading

A woman was rescued from the Pioneer Ridge Trail in Alaska on June 16. (Photo courtesy/AllTrails)
Alaska hiker chased off trail by bears flags down help

ANCHORAGE (AP)—An Alaska hiker who reported needing help following bear encounters on… Continue reading

Two participants cross the finish line at the City of Whitehorse Kids Triathlon on June 12 with Mayor Dan Curtis on hand to present medals. (Stephanie Waddell/Yukon News)
2021 Kids’ Triathlon draws 76 young athletes

Youth ages five to 14 swim, run and bike their way to finish line

NDP MP Mumilaaq Qaqqaq rises in the House of Commons, in Ottawa on May 13, 2021. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Adrian Wyld
‘Unacceptable’ that Inuk MP felt unsafe in House of Commons, Miller says

OTTAWA—It’s a “sad reflection” on Canada that an Inuk MP feels she’s… Continue reading

Lily Witten performs her Canadian Nationals beam routine on June 14. John Tonin/Yukon News
Three Yukon gymnasts break 20-year Nationals absence

Bianca Berko-Malvasio, Maude Molgat and Lily Witten competed at the Canadian Nationals – the first time in 20 years the Yukon’s been represented at the meet

Most Read