The amazing story of ‘Grizzly Bear’ Christie

Accounts of the First World War often evoke images of the horrid conditions in the trenches along the Western Front in France, or the gas attacks and needless slaughter.

Accounts of the First World War often evoke images of the horrid conditions in the trenches along the Western Front in France, or the gas attacks and needless slaughter. Here is an account of one Yukon soldier with an even more remarkable tale of survival. His name was Jim Christie.

James Murdoch Christie was born in Perthshire, Scotland on October 22 of 1874. When he joined the stampede to the Klondike during the gold rush in 1898, he had been farming in Carman, Manitoba.

Christie remained in the Yukon after the gold rush, later becoming a guide and professional hunter, but his remarkable story begins in October of 1909, when he and George Crisfield were trapping on the Rogue River, a remote tributary of the Stewart River. Christie had been tracking a large grizzly bear that had disturbed one of their caches. A marauding grizzly bear at that time of year is never good news.

The bear surprised him as he climbed up a snow-covered river bank, and at a range of 30 metres, he got off one shot from his Ross rifle, which hit the bear in the chest, and a second round to the head just before the bear was upon him. Christie tried to escape the charging grizzly, but to no avail.

The grizzly took Christie’s head into his powerful jaws and began to crush his skull. Christie’s jaw and cheek bone were crushed and his scalp was ripped away from his head, drenching the snow with his blood. One eye was blinded.

To protect himself, Christie thrust his right arm into the angry bear’s maw, and it too was crushed. Christie might not have survived had the bear continued its attack, but the bullets finally took effect and the beast rolled over, lifeless.

Christie was in terrible shape. He was bleeding profusely, and his broken jaw hung open. He wrapped his jacket around his head to hold the fractured jawbone in place, and staggered half-blinded toward his cabin, which was 11 kilometres away. Leaving a trail of blood behind him, he made it back to the cabin.

Crisfield was not there, so Christie kept a fire going despite being half delirious, until his partner returned to the cabin. After a couple of days rest, Crisfield strapped Christie into a sled and headed to Lansing, the nearest trading post on the Stewart River. Wrapped in his blood-soaked clothing, Christie endured in silence the pain from every bump and jolt on the four day journey.

Four two months, J.E Ferrill, the trader, and his wife tended to Christie, slowly nursing him back to health. Ferrill even trimmed the jagged edges of Christie’s scalp wounds as the flap of skin began to heal.

Eventually, Christie was fit enough for the journey to Dawson. He, Ferrill and Crisfield left Lansing on New Year’s Day. Christie even insisted on doing much of the physical work on the journey to Mayo, and then to Dawson City, where he arrived in mid January.

By this time, his jaw had healed improperly so he could not chew solid food and was reduced to consuming a liquid diet. The staff of St. Mary’s Hospital in Dawson could do nothing for him, so he went to Victoria, where surgeon Dr. C.M Jones reset his jaw in the course of several operations. Dr. Jones told Christie: “You have no business to be alive.” Much of the credit for his recovery goes to the Ferrills, who tended him for so many weeks.

He was forever after known as “Grizzly Bear” Christie.

But Christie’s story does not end there. When war was declared August 4, 1914, nearing 40 years of age, he was one of the first to head outside to enlist. His attestation papers show that he signed up only three weeks after war was declared. He joined the Princess Patricia Canadian Light Infantry and saw considerable action as a scout and sniper in France. After the war, Major Neville Armstrong, who haunted the same country in the Stewart River as Christie, said the man was the best scout officer he knew of.

Christie was twice wounded in battle; once in April of 1915, and again in July of 1916. He was promoted in the field to the rank of lieutenant, and was decorated with both the Distinguished Conduct Medal and the Military Cross.

For years, Christie haunted no-man’s land like few men dared. A superior officer described his exploits:

“His long life alone in the mountains made him the most observant man I have ever known. He saw everything and said nothing. He could put his hand on the ground in No Man’s Land and tell whether a man had walked there one hour ago, two hours ago, three hours ago. It was uncanny, and he was never wrong. He would lie out in the open behind our trenches, day after day … and get his sight on some part of the enemy trench and wait for someone to put his head up. If he did not put it up today, he would be there tomorrow, and sure enough some German would come to that spot, and Christie would get him. This happened year after year. I have never known anyone outside an Indian who had the patience of Christie. He would concentrate hour after hour on one spot … Christie could do it for two days.”

In one encounter, Christie led four other men into No Man’s Land and lay in wait of a German patrol. They ambushed a German officer and 16 soldiers, killing them all, returning with their insignia and papers carried by the officer. Realizing that two of his men had left their rifles behind, Christie returned to No Man’s Land to retrieve them, and was immediately awarded the Distinguished Conduct Medal by Gen. Sir George Milne who witnessed the event.

At age 43, he was released from service June of 1918 and returned to civilian life, having not only fought for his life with a grizzly bear, but survived years of the most hazardous combat duty. Ironically, it was George Crisfield, the trapping partner who helped him back in 1909, who was killed by machine gun fire September 1918, as the war was coming to an end.

Christie took his scars and his medals back to Canada. Laura Berton remembered visiting him years later as a white-haired agile little man in his seventies, living peacefully on Saltspring Island with his wife. According to Berton, “only a slight scar [was] visible on his scalp as evidence of the terrible winter when – while the rest of us were dancing in the A.B. Hall [in Dawson City] – he fought for his life after his famous battle with a grizzly.”

In late May of 1939, he travelled to Vancouver to see the King and Queen during their royal visit to that city, but that was not to be. He died in Shaughnessy Military Hospital, June 1, 1939, 30 years after his wrestling match with a grizzly.

Michael Gates is a Yukon historian and sometimes adventurer based in Whitehorse. His latest book, Dalton’s Gold Rush Trail, is available in Yukon stores.

You can contact him at

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Team Yukon skip Laura Eby, left, directs her team as Team Northern Ontario skip Krysta Burns looks on at the Scotties Tournament of Hearts in Calgary on Feb. 22. (Jeff McIntosh/CP)
Team Yukon reports positive experience at Scotties

Team Yukon played their final game at the national championship in Calgary on Thursday afternoon

A sign indicating a drop-off area behind Selkirk Elementary school in Whitehorse on Feb. 25. (Haley Ritchie/Yukon News)
Parking lot proposal for Selkirk Elementary criticized

Parents and school council are raising concerns about green space and traffic woes


Wyatt’s World for Feb. 26, 2021

Ken Anderson’s Sun and Moon model sculpture sits in the snow as he carves away at the real life sculpture behind Kwanlin Dün Cultural Centre for the Yukon Sourdough Rendezvous festival in Whitehorse on Feb. 21, 2018. Yukon Rendezvous weekend kicks off today with a series of outdoor, virtual and staged events. (Crystal Schick/Yukon News file)
Rendezvous snowpad, live music and fireworks this weekend

A round-up of events taking place for the 2021 Rendezvous weekend

Yukon Energy in Whitehorse on Aug. 4, 2020. The proposed Atlin Hydro Expansion project is moving closer to development with a number of milestones reached by the Tlingit Homeland Energy Limited Partnership and Yukon Energy over the last several months. (Crystal Schick/Yukon News file)
Atlin hydro project progresses

Officials reflect on milestones reached

Tom Ullyett, pictured, is the first Yukoner to receive the Louis St-Laurent Award of Excellence from the Canadian Bar Association for his work as a community builder and mentor in the territory. (Gabrielle Plonka/Yukon News)
Tom Ullyett wins lifetime achievement award from the Canadian Bar Association

Ullyett has worked in the Yukon’s justice ecosystem for 36 years as a public sector lawyer and mentor

The Blood Ties outreach van will now run seven nights a week, thanks to a boost in government funding. Logan Godin, coordinator, and Jesse Whelen, harm reduction counsellor, are seen here on May 12, 2020. (Crystal Schick/Yukon News file)
Blood Ties outreach van running seven nights a week with funding boost

The Yukon government is ramping up overdose response, considering safe supply plan

Ranj Pillai speaks to media about business relief programs in Whitehorse on April 1, 2020. The Yukon government announced Feb.25 that it will extend business support programs until September. (Crystal Schick/Yukon News)
Government extends business relief programs to September, launches new loan

“It really gives folks some help with supporting their business with cash flow.”

Whitehorse City Hall. (Joel Krahn/Yukon News file)
A look at decisions made by Whitehorse City Council this week

Bylaw amendment Whitehorse city council is moving closer with changes to a… Continue reading

Susie Rogan is a veteran musher with 14 years of racing experience and Yukon Journey organizer. (Yukon Journey Facebook)
Yukon Journey mushers begin 255-mile race

Eleven mushers are participating in the race from Pelly Crossing to Whitehorse

Legislative assembly on the last day of the fall sitting in Whitehorse on Nov. 22, 2018. As the legislature prepares to return on March 4, the three parties are continuing to finalize candidates in the territory’s 19 ridings. (Crystal Schick/Yukon News file)
Nine new candidates confirmed in Yukon ridings

It has been a busy two weeks as the parties try to firm up candidates

David Malcolm, 40, has been charged with assaulting and attempting to disarm a police officer after an incident in Whitehorse on Feb. 18. (Phil McLachlan/Capital News)
Man resists arrest, assaults officer

A Whitehorse man has been charged with assaulting and attempting to disarm… Continue reading

Yukon Energy in Whitehorse on Aug. 4, 2020. A site on Robert Service Way near the Alaska Highway has been selected as the future home of Yukon Energy’s energy storage project. (Crystal Schick/Yukon News file)
Site selected for Yukon Energy battery project

Planned to be in service by the end of 2022

Most Read