This year Big Brothers Big Sisters of Yukon marks our 23rd Anniversary of Bowl for Kids Sake and our 35th year of providing mentoring to Yukon children who want and need a mentor.
The benefits of mentoring are well documented and backed up by extensive research. Children who have had as little as one year of mentoring benefit from higher self esteem, better attendance and interest in school, higher graduation rates, less negative behaviors (bullying/violence/crime) and less incidence of substance abuse.
We have had a productive year at BBBS Yukon with expansion of our in-school mentoring program, an increase in traditional big/little matches and more activities and support provided for volunteer mentors and their littles.
This is made possible by businesses and members of the public who participate in our events knowing that they are making a difference in our community. We try to make our events fun with tons of door prizes for participants, free hot pizza lunch, free shoes and bowling, a fantastic silent auction and awards for high scores and top fund raising teams.
Last year Bowl for Kids Sake (our signature event) raised over $20,000 for our mentoring programs.
There are many ways to get involved:
* Form a pledge team of six bowlers who ask friends, co-workers, family and neighbors to sponsor them - six members each raising $100 each covers the costs of monitoring a match for a year.
* Sponsor a Lane for a game ($100), three games ($250) or a whole day ($500).
* Donate door prizes or silent auction items.
* Provide in-kind services or volunteer as a mentor or event assistant.
* When asked, donate generously - tax receipts are issued for donations of $20 or more provided complete information is provided.
This year our goal is to raise over $25,000 on Sunday, April 27. Please help us improve the quality of life for children who need and want a mentor.
For more information, call 668-7911 or email email@example.com
Executive director, BBBS Yukon