Yukon cadet facility still a go

Plans for a new year-round cadet facility in Whitehorse will still go ahead under the new federal government, Yukon’s senator has confirmed.

Plans for a new year-round cadet facility in Whitehorse will still go ahead under the new federal government, Yukon’s senator has confirmed.

Former Conservative minister Jason Kenney came to Whitehorse last year amid the federal election to promise the winterized facility if the Conservatives were re-elected.

Even though that didn’t happen, the new building will still go ahead, Sen. Dan Lang said yesterday.

It’s something multiple levels of government have been working on since 2012, he said. Including his office, former Yukon MP Ryan Leef and the territorial government.

Lang said his understanding is that planning for the facility will happen this year with construction in 2017.

No location has been settled on for the 500-square-metre facility, which is tentatively slated to cost up to $5 million.

Cadets, Rangers or the RCMP could use the facility for drills, he said.

Lang said he hopes the building will go on the same site as the current cadet facility.

Boyle Barracks is a 180-hectare site 20 kilometres south of Whitehorse, designed for summer training only.

Because of a lack of storage space, training equipment is currently kept in a sea can. The new facility will have secure storage.

Whitehorse has two cadet corps, with a total of about 60 young Canadians aged 12 to 18.

In the winter the cadets parade in Whitehorse Elementary School.

During the last federal election then-prime minister Stephen Harper also promised a new Canadian Armed Forces reserve unit in Yukon.

Lang said doesn’t know if that is something the new government plans to follow through with.

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

COMMENTARY: Know your rights: Yukon’s anti-discrimination laws in housing

Luke FraughtSpecial to the News For three reasons, now is an extremely… Continue reading

Man convicted of sexually abusing 13 girls given 1.5 years’ credit on sentence after appeal

Man was given 1,299 days’ credit for time in jail pre-sentencing when he should have received 1,850

Yukon RCMP breach agreement with Queer Yukon by attending Pride flag raising in uniform

High-ranking Yukon RCMP officers broke an agreement with Queer Yukon last month… Continue reading

Tr’ondek Hwech’in citizens living outside traditional territory didn’t receive mail-in ballots in time for byelection

Despite tricky timelines, Tr’ondëk Hwëch’in says the Elections Act was followed

Dust devil rips apart pop-up fruit stand in Haines Junction

Owner George Redies says he’s thankful for the help and support he’s received from Yukoners

Today’s mailbox: long-term care oversight

Letters to the editor published Aug. 12

Group of B.C. First Nations announce mutual support of travel, hunting restrictions

Group of B.C. First Nations announce mutual support of travel, hunting restrictions… Continue reading

Whitehorse airport baggage handling to be upgraded

Baggage handling at the Whitehorse airport is getting an upgrade next year.… Continue reading

Whitehorse driver pleads not guilty in 2019 pedestrian death

A Whitehorse driver charged with failing to yield for a pedestrian at… Continue reading

Yukon Filmmakers Fund awards announced

Four local filmmakers will receive $20,000 as they continue work on their… Continue reading

UPDATED: Yukon privacy commissioner releases information on COVID Alert app

The office of the IPC has said it has no stance on whether Yukoners should download the app

Changes to federal infrastructure funds allow for COVID-19 flexibility

Announcement allows for rapid COVID-19 projects and expands energy programs to Whitehorse

City hall, briefly

A look at decisions made by Whitehorse city council this week

Most Read