Violent sex offender up for third release

Violent Yukon sex offender Marcellus Jacob is set for statutory release on December 26. It will be his third release.

Violent Yukon sex offender Marcellus Jacob is set for statutory release on December 26.

It will be his third release.

In 2002, Jacob broke into a Whitehorse woman’s home and sexually assaulted her at knifepoint in a “brutal and sadistic fashion” for more than four hours, according to National Parole Board documents dated November 30.

After serving two-thirds of his eight-year sentence, he was released on October 26, 2006.

At the time, the parole board said he was at a high risk to reoffend.

Jacob was to reside in a specific place, abstain from intoxicants, get psychological counselling and report any relationships with females to his parole supervisor.

He was also to avoid contact with the victim and her family and not have contact with anyone under the age of 19 without advance written permission.

His first statutory released only lasted a month.

A warrant was issued for his arrest after he went “unlawfully at large.”

It was later discovered Jacob had been in a hotel room with a woman from his workplace.

Jacob was released again on May 29. The conditions remained the same except he was now not to have contact with anyone under the age of 16 without advance written permission.

Again, it only lasted a month.

Jacob breached his special condition to report all relationships with women.

Soon after his release was revoked, Jacob’s “attitude and behaviour turned negative.”

He was offered a volunteer job in the kitchen of the community-based residential facility where he was staying.

But he refused. “You stated you were not going to work for free,” say parole board documents.

And during his previous release, rather than following job leads he’d been given, Jacob chose to attend an employment program at a lodge for women — “which placed (him) in close proximity to vulnerable aboriginal women,” say the documents.

Jacob also lied about a bill from a sex phone line that was discovered in his room.

“Risk factors in your case are dishonesty, lack of disclosure, impulsivity, substance abuse, anger and frustration, depression and associating with negative peers,” say the parole board documents.

Jacob has a long troubling history of “sexually deviant behaviour to both males and females and persons younger, same-age or older than (him).”

Jacob “experienced frequent uncontrollable rages as a young child,” and has “a documented history to fire-setting, cruelty to animals and younger children.”

A 2004 psychological report, as well as prior reports, found “a significant degree of psychopathic traits in (his) personality.”

Jacob’s previous release conditions are not enough, says the parole board.

“Given (his) poor attitude toward supervision and (his) unwillingness to comply with the general and specific conditions of release, these plans are not seen as adequate for managing (Jacob’s) risk at this time,” according to the documents.

After his release, Jacob will be expected to make contact with his supervision/treatment team eight times a month and report to the high-risk offender unit of the police department once a week.

“You took the position that you did not want to undergo intensive sex-offender programming, and it would appear that you remain an untreated sex offender,” say the parole board documents.

Jacob’s risk to re-offend is seen as moderate to high for violent and sexual offending, according to the board.

Contact Genesee Keevil at gkeevil@yukon-news.com