untitled38

n CITY Council afraid of heights Whitehorse city council has voted to try to talk developers down from an application for a four-storey building…

n CITY

Council afraid

of heights

Whitehorse city council has voted to try to talk developers down from an application for a four-storey building on Centennial Street.

The owners of the property at 1307 Centennial Street told council that they want to replace the existing building, housing the Porter Creek Indoor Garden, with a two-and-a-half storey one.

However, their application was for the maximum 20 metres, or four storeys.

During the public hearing on May 12, neighbours voiced concerns over visual impacts, increased traffic and loss of privacy and sunlight for neighbours.

Wary of jumping to four storeys unnecessarily, council would like to make some form of a compromise.

“As I understand it, the proponents were looking for only two and a half storeys,” said councillor Doug Graham.

“Two and half storeys on that lot in that particular location, I don’t think anyone had a problem with, including the people that live next door and across the road.”

If council allowed this application to go through they’d essentially be approving a four-storey limit for every lot on that side of Centennial Street, said Graham.

“And I’m not sure that’s a good thing.”


“Why not compromise on three storeys?” said councillor Dave Stockdale.

“That maybe satisfies the neighbourhood’s concerns and also lets the developer do what they want to do on that particular site.”

Mayor Bev Buckway disagreed.

“I’m pleased to see a development like this in the area,” she said.

“They have come and asked us for the 20 metres and it’s not up to us to then say, why don’t you back that off.”

Council voted to postpone the vote in order to see if this compromise might be made.

The proposal and its possible new height will return to council on June 23. (CO)

Motorways lots

to go up for bid

Whitehorse is preparing to sell lots on the Motorways site for mixed-use development.

The public will be able to submit bids for five lots that front onto Second Avenue.

A meeting on June 26 will outline the bidding process. The request for bids begins the following day.

Bids will close on July 18.

All lots will go to the highest bidder and come with a sale agreement.

This agreement will include an “Option to Re-acquire,” which allows the city to take the lot back if any conditions of the sale agreement are not met.

City administration is hoping to have all sales completed by mid July so that it may be possible for developers to actually begin construction in the 2008 building season.

For more information visit the city website. (CO)

Men knifed in Carmacks bar brawl

Two Quebec men are facing attempted murder charges after a stabbing at a Carmacks hotel and bar on June 5.

The early morning stabbing left one man in hospital with life-threatening injuries, according to an RCMP release issued more than a week after the crime took place.

At 1:45 a.m. Antoine Pierre and Ernst Barthelemy, both from Montreal, were arrested after a bar fight, said the release.

They men had been living in Carmacks for two weeks before their arrests.

Earlier, RMCP received a report of a stabbing at the hotel and found two other males had been stabbed. One of them was initially treated in Carmacks, and then rushed to Whitehorse General Hospital.

He’s expected to make a full recovery.

Pierre and Barthelemy appeared in territorial court Thursday and were denied bail.

They’re expected to enter pleas in court later this month.

Both are charged with attempted murder and aggravated assault, while Barthelemy faces an extra charge of assault with a weapon.

Alcohol is believed to be a factor in the fight, said the release.

Motorways lots

to go up for bid

Whitehorse is preparing to sell lots on the Motorways site for mixed-use development.

The public will be able to submit bids for five lots that front onto Second Avenue.

A meeting on June 26 will outline the bidding process. The request for bids begins the following day.

Bids will close on July 18.

All lots will go to the highest bidder and come with a sale agreement.

This agreement will include an “Option to Re-acquire,” which allows the city to take the lot back if any conditions of the sale agreement are not met.

City administration is hoping to have all sales completed by mid July so that it may be possible for developers to actually begin construction in the 2008 building season.

For more information visit the city website. (CO)

n HEALTH

Ross River boil water

advisory in effect

Ross River is under a boil-water advisory after a sample from a water delivery truck tested positive for E. coli bacteria.

Samples taken from the well and truck-fill did not contain the bacteria.

Residents of Ross River who received water from the truck are asked to boil it for two minutes before using it for drinking, cleaning and preparing food, washes dishes, making ice or brushing teeth.

The advisory is in effect until residents have cleaned and disinfected their water-holding tanks and new water is delivered.

For more information about cleaning and disinfecting the water tanks, contact Environmental Health Services at 667-8391 or 1-800-661-0408 ext. 8391. (JW)

Just Posted

Willow Brewster, a paramedic helping in the COVID-19 drive-thru testing centre, holds a swab used for the COVID-19 test moments before using it on Nov. 24. The Yukon government is reopening the drive-thru option on June 18. (Crystal Schick/Yukon News)
Drive-up COVID-19 testing opening June 18 in Whitehorse

The drive-up testing will be open from 6:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. everyday and increase testing capacity by 33 spots

A draft plan has been released by the Dawson Regional Use Planning commission on June 15. Julien Gignac/Yukon News
Draft plan released by the Dawson Regional Land Use Planning Commission

Dawson Regional Land Use Commission releases draft plan, Government of Yukon withdraws additional lands from mineral staking in the planning region

Yukonomist Keith Halliday
Yukonomist: Let them live in trailers

“I found Rome a city of bricks and left it a city… Continue reading

X
WYATT’S WORLD

Wyatt’s World for June 18, 2021.… Continue reading

Chief Medical Officer of Health Dr. Brendan Hanley. (Yukon News file)
Yukon logs nine new COVID-19 cases, 54 active cases

More CEMA enforcement officers have been recruited, officials say

Whitehorse City Hall (Yukon News file)
City news, briefly

A look at decisions made by Whitehorse city council at its June 14 meeting

Murray Arsenault sits in the drivers seat of his 1975 Bricklin SV1 in Whitehorse on June 16. (Stephanie Waddell/Yukon News)
Bringing the 1975 Bricklin north

Murray Arsenault remembers his dad’s Bricklin, while now driving his own

A presumptive COVID case was found at Seabridge Gold’s 3 Aces project. (file photo)
Presumptive COVID-19 case reported at mine in southeast Yukon

A rapid antigen rest found a presumptive COVID case on an incoming individual arriving at the 3Aces project

Jonathan Antoine/Cabin Radio
Flooding in Fort Simpson on May 8.
Fort Simpson asked for military help. Two people showed up.

FORT SIMPSON—Residents of a flooded Northwest Territories village expected a helping hand… Continue reading

A woman was rescued from the Pioneer Ridge Trail in Alaska on June 16. (Photo courtesy/AllTrails)
Alaska hiker chased off trail by bears flags down help

ANCHORAGE (AP)—An Alaska hiker who reported needing help following bear encounters on… Continue reading

Two participants cross the finish line at the City of Whitehorse Kids Triathlon on June 12 with Mayor Dan Curtis on hand to present medals. (Stephanie Waddell/Yukon News)
2021 Kids’ Triathlon draws 76 young athletes

Youth ages five to 14 swim, run and bike their way to finish line

NDP MP Mumilaaq Qaqqaq rises in the House of Commons, in Ottawa on May 13, 2021. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Adrian Wyld
‘Unacceptable’ that Inuk MP felt unsafe in House of Commons, Miller says

OTTAWA—It’s a “sad reflection” on Canada that an Inuk MP feels she’s… Continue reading

Lily Witten performs her Canadian Nationals beam routine on June 14. John Tonin/Yukon News
Three Yukon gymnasts break 20-year Nationals absence

Bianca Berko-Malvasio, Maude Molgat and Lily Witten competed at the Canadian Nationals – the first time in 20 years the Yukon’s been represented at the meet

Most Read