Tulsequah Chief will open on time: president

Chieftain Metals Inc. is on schedule to build a mine at the Tulsequah Chief site near Atlin, B.C., despite continued financial problems and First Nations opposition, company president Victor Wyprysky insisted this week.

Chieftain Metals Inc. is on schedule to build a mine at the Tulsequah Chief site near Atlin, B.C., despite continued financial problems and First Nations opposition, company president Victor Wyprysky insisted this week.

Representatives from the Toronto-based company were in Atlin this week for an open-house meeting to update the community on the project’s progress.

It would cost $400 million to bring the historic mine to production, according to a feasibility study released earlier this year. Chieftain acquired the mine after the previou owner, Redfern, went bankrupt. It plans to process 2,000 tonnes of zinc, copper, lead, silver and gold a day. The company plans to start production at the end of 2015 or beginning of 2016 after a two-year building period. The mine should operate for about nine years, and employ over 200 people.

A lot has changed since that study was released. The company purchased over 16,000 hectares in March, bringing the mine’s total size to over 30,500 hectares.

But Chieftain still needs money. Last September, it signed a memorandum of understanding with China Development Bank, China CAMC Engineering Co. Ltd. and its affiliate Procon Holdings (Alberta) Inc. for full project financing. The agreement has fallen through, Wyprysky said in a phone message this week.

The company wanted too much ownership, so Chieftain is working to secure financing from banks and strategic partners, he said. “We’re moving ahead on all fronts,” Wyprysky said in the message.

When reached at his Toronto office, he declined to give clear timelines. It all depends on financing, said Wyprysky.

The feasibility study envisioned the company receiving interim financing by March 15, and full financing by June 30. The latest presentation on the company’s website, dated May 22, assumes full financing by January 2014.

Chieftain is a public company, so information about where its financing is at is confidential, said Wyprysky.

“There’s a world called the global financial world that we are a part of, rules and everything. You don’t just ring up a company and say ‘When are you closing your $400 million financing?’” he said.

But he’s confident production will begin when planned.

“We’re trying to stick to that timeframe. In setting up these schedules, one typically leaves a lot of room for this whole financing process to take place, and we’ve given ourselves, at this point, an adequate cushion,” he said.

He couldn’t say when the company will reopen its shuttered interim water treatment plant. It closed nearly a year ago after around six months of operations, after costs ran four times higher than originally anticipated.

“The water treatment plant is just a very small part of the project,” he said, noting the company spent over $9 million on the plant.

But the closure raised the ire of conservationists and the Taku River Tlingit First Nation. The mine is in the First Nation’s traditional territory. In November, it issued a joint clan mandate opposing the project as currently proposed and directing leadership to “take all necessary steps to ensure that the Tulsequah Chief project, as currently proposed, is not developed in Taku River Tlingit Territory.”

The First Nation also had concerns about the proposed 128-kilometre access road to the site. The road could disrupt caribou populations and harm the First Nation’s culturally significant Nakina Trail. Chieftain received all the permits it needed to build the road earlier this year. The timeline released with the feasibility study said road construction could begin this year. The latest presentation says it could begin next year.

Neither company press releases nor the feasibility study have addressed the First Nation’s opposition. In a video posted to the company’s website last month, Wyprysky says the company has had “extensive” negotiations with the Taku River Tlingit First Nation.

That’s not true, said Chantelle Hart, a member of the Children of the Taku, a not-for-profit group dedicated to preserving the First Nation’s traditional way of life in that territory.

“They’re painting this pretty picture of harmony and peace between us and them, and that’s not what is occurring,” she said earlier this month.

“We have tried to contact them and have never received a response, ever. They’ve been very clear about bulldozing through our wishes and our needs, and completely disregarding our concerns,” Hart said at the time. When reached this week, she said she was not aware of the company’s meeting in Atlin.

The First Nation did not respond to requests for an interview before press time.

“I don’t really know why they’re opposing the project, and I don’t even know if they are opposing the project because they certainly have lots of interest in getting jobs with the project,” Wyprysky said this week. “So I don’t see how you can oppose it and want jobs at the same time.” But he knows about the mandate.

“I’m aware of it,” he said.

“But they don’t have a veto. We have the permits ready to build. That’s what you should focus on. Do you appreciate that? We have a fully permitted project. We’re ready to go.”

But moving forward with First Nations opposition could put the company at risk of lawsuits and blockades, said Ramsey Hart with Mining Watch Canada.

“It certainly is not what is expected of responsible mining companies in this day and age,” said Hart.

First Nations have constitutionally protected rights, and international case law recognizes the duty to consult with aboriginal groups, he said.

“It’s not just about asking and then going ahead and doing what you wanted to do anyways. You actually have to have the agreement of the First Nation before proceeding,” he said.

Contact Meagan Gillmore at

mgillmore@yukon-news.com

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

The City of Whitehorse will be spending $655,000 to upgrade the waste heat recovery system at the Canada Games Centre. (Crystal Schick/Yukon News file)
New waste heat recovery system coming to the CGC

Council approves $655,000 project

Yukon First Nation Education Directorate education advocates and volunteers help to sort and distribute Christmas hamper grocery boxes outside Elijah Smith Elementary School on Feb. 23. (Rebecca Bradford Andrew/Submitted)
First Nation Education Directorate begins Christmas hamper program

Pick-ups for hampers are scheduled at local schools

Cyrine Candido, cashier, right, wipes down the new plexi-glass dividers at Superstore on March 28, before it was commonplace for them to wear masks. The Yukon government is relaunching the Yukon Essential Workers Income Support Program as the second wave of COVID-19 begins to take place in the territory. (Crystal Schick/Yukon News file)
Yukon Essential Workers Income Support Program extended to 32 weeks

More than 100 businesses in the territory applied for the first phase of the program

City of Whitehorse staff will report back to city council members in three months, detailing where efforts are with the city’s wildfire risk reduction strategy and action plan for 2021 to 2024. (Crystal Schick/Yukon News file)
Council adopts wildfire risk reduction plan

Staff will report on progress in three months

asdf
WYATT’S WORLD

Wyatt’s World for Nov. 25, 2020

Cody Pederson of the CA Storm walks around LJ’s Sabres player Clay Plume during the ‘A’ division final of the 2019 Yukon Native Hockey Tournament. The 2021 Yukon Native Hockey Tournament, scheduled for March 25 to 28 in Whitehorse next year, was officially cancelled on Nov. 24 in a press release from organizers. (John Hopkins-Hill/Yukon News file)
2021 Yukon Native Hockey Tournament cancelled

The 2021 Yukon Native Hockey Tournament, scheduled for March 25 to 28… Continue reading

Lev Dolgachov/123rf
The Yukon’s Information and Privacy Commissioner stressed the need to safeguard personal information while shopping this holiday season in a press release on Nov. 24.
Information and Privacy Commissioner issues reminder about shopping

The Yukon’s Information and Privacy Commissioner Diane McLeod-McKay stressed the need to… Continue reading

Keith Lay speaks at a city council meeting on Dec. 4, 2017. Lay provided the lone submission to council on the city’s proposed $33 million capital spending plan for 2021 on Nov. 23, taking issue with a number of projects outlined. (Crystal Schick/Yukon News file)
Resident raises issues with city’s capital budget

Council to vote on budget in December

Beatrice Lorne was always remembered by gold rush veterans as the ‘Klondike Nightingale’. (Yukon Archives/Maggies Museum Collection)
History Hunter: Beatrice Lorne — The ‘Klondike Nightingale’

In June of 1929, 11 years after the end of the First… Continue reading

Samson Hartland is the executive director of the Yukon Chamber of Mines. The Yukon Chamber of Mines elected a new board of directors during its annual general meeting held virtually on Nov. 17. (Joel Krahn/Yukon News file)
Yukon Chamber of Mines elects new board

The Yukon Chamber of Mines elected a new board of directors during… Continue reading

The Yukon Hospital Corporation has released its annual report for 2019-20, and — unsurprisingly — hospital visitations were down. (Crystal Schick/Yukon News file)
Annual report says COVID-19 had a large impact visitation numbers at Whitehorse General

The Yukon Hospital Corporation has released its annual report for 2019-20, and… Continue reading

Whitehorse City Hall. (Joel Krahn/Yukon News file)
City hall, briefly

A look at decisions made by Whitehorse city council this week

Most Read