Three Porter Creek dogs all poisoned with strychnine

Three Porter Creek dogs all poisoned with strychnine Tests have confirmed that a sick Porter Creek dog was poisoned with strychnine.

Tests have confirmed that a sick Porter Creek dog was poisoned with strychnine, the same substance that has already killed two other pets.

Meanwhile, suspicious meat found last week outside a home in the area has been sent Outside for testing.

Trigger, a German shepherd-husky cross, survived the strychnine poisoning in late March.

In separate news releases yesterday, both RCMP and Whitehorse’s bylaw department say toxicology tests confirmed the poison was strychnine.

It’s the same compound found in two Welsh corgis that died two weeks earlier and lived on the same street.

Trigger’s owner has said raw hamburger meat was found in his stomach.

The investigation into the poisonings has been taken over by the RCMP.

At about 8:30 a.m. on Friday police got a call about rare meat in the front yard of a home in the 9th and 10th Avenue area, RCMP spokesperson Cpl. Natasha Dunmall said yesterday afternoon.

This particular meat was not hamburger. It appears to be strips of meat off of a moose or bison carcass, Dunmall said.

But because of the previous poisonings, the meat is being sent Outside for testing, she said.

Meanwhile the investigation into the three confirmed poisonings is ongoing.

“This is still an active investigation, however if someone sees suspicious activity or items deposited in their neighbours’ yard, bring attention to it,” Dunmall said in a statement.

“It may just save a beloved pet.”

Strychnine is an odorless, colorless crystalline powder that affects the nervous system by causing uncontrolled firing of the nerves, which can result in death.

Bylaw is also encouraging people to keep an eye out.

“It is not known how these dogs came into contact with the substance. Bylaw officers have visited homes in the area to notify residents of the incidents and encourage everyone to take additional precautions at this time,” the department says.

“Dog owners are reminded to always be vigilant of what their animals could be ingesting when they are away from their property, or if there is anything suspicious in their yard.”

Anyone with information is asked to call the RCMP at 667-5555. 

Just Posted

Death of Whitehorse man in Vancouver hospital deemed a homicide

Shawn Johnnie died after being medevaced from Whitehorse to Vancouver Sept. 12.

“It’s really filled our cup”: Summit Kombucha co-owner on positive reception in Whitehorse

The Yukon’s first kombucha makers are opening their own shop later this month

Former CKRW reporter announces bid for council

Oshea Jephson to focus on traffic and housing

Boyd runs for re-election

The current Whitehorse councillor says he’s concerned with housing and taxes

Whitehorse Minor Hockey Association expands development program to peewee and bantam

“We’re just taking over from the great work that was done by the previous board”

Editorial: As Whitehorse grows it needs to grow up

Instead of only spreading out as population grows, Whitehorse needs to consider taller buildings.

HISTORY HUNTER: Paying Homage to the Yukon fallen of World War I

Yukon soldiers are buried in more than 50 cemeteries on four continents

Most Read