Restaurant manager hit with $10K fine for sexual harassment

The Yukon Human Rights Board of Adjudication has ordered a former supervisor at Alcan Motor Inn Restaurant & Lodge in Haines Junction to pay over $10,000 for sexual harassment.

The Yukon Human Rights Board of Adjudication has ordered a former supervisor at Alcan Motor Inn Restaurant & Lodge in Haines Junction to pay over $10,000 for sexual harassment.

Two girls, both now living in Whitehorse, claim Sid Quenneville sexually harassed them during the spring of 2011. The girls filed their complaints separately in August 2011 and February 2012. Neither can be named because they were both minors when they made their complaints. They were 15 and 17 years old while they worked at the restaurant.

The board is ordering Quenneville pay them each $5,000 for injury to their dignity, feelings and self-respect. Both girls were young and vulnerable when they worked at the restaurant, the decision says. The board is also ordering Quenneville pay one girl $1,680 and the other $840 for lost wages.

At a hearing in May, they both testified that Quenneville made them feel uncomfortable at work.

“I had a weird feeling of someone just looking at me,” said one of the girls, who worked at the restaurant as a dishwasher. She had worked there in 2010, but Quenneville was not a supervisor at that time. Once, Quenneville kicked her twice in the behind while she was washing dishes. “I didn’t really know how to react,” she told the tribunal. She mentioned the incident to the owner, Clinton McCuaig, but nothing happened.

The second girl, a server, also said Quenneville made her feel uncomfortable. “You could just see him checking you out,” she said. Quenneville also grabbed her behind in front of another male co-worker. This made her feel “degraded,” she said at the hearing.

She didn’t talk to either Quenneville or McCuaig about the incident.

She wanted to quit her job, but wasn’t sure how to, she said at the hearing.

Quenneville also said she and another male co-worker were in a sexual relationship. This wasn’t true. At the hearing in May, she hesitated to even repeat Quenneville’s comments.

Neither girl formally quit their jobs. They just stopped coming into work. This was the first place either of them had worked. Each had a hard time finding a job after they left the restaurant. One of them said she is so scared something like this may happen again that she has given up on finding a job.

“Although the events described by the complainants occurred two years ago, both were uncomfortable talking about their experiences,” the board wrote in its decision. The decision also notes that both girls are members of the Champagne and Aishihik First Nations, and Quenneville is not of First Nation ancestry. This added another layer to the power imbalance, the board said.

Quenneville knew about the hearing in May, but he did not attend. He no longer works at the restaurant. McCuaig has not seen Quenneville for a few years, McCuaig said in May.

The girls had also previously filed complaints against the business itself and reached a confidential settlement.

Contact Meagan Gillmore at

mgillmore@yukon-news.com

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Yukon First Nation Education Directorate education advocates and volunteers help to sort and distribute Christmas hamper grocery boxes outside Elijah Smith Elementary School on Feb. 23. (Rebecca Bradford Andrew/Submitted)
First Nation Education Directorate begins Christmas hamper program

Pick-ups for hampers are scheduled at local schools

Cyrine Candido, cashier, right, wipes down the new plexi-glass dividers at Superstore on March 28, before it was commonplace for them to wear masks. The Yukon government is relaunching the Yukon Essential Workers Income Support Program as the second wave of COVID-19 begins to take place in the territory. (Crystal Schick/Yukon News file)
Yukon Essential Workers Income Support Program extended to 32 weeks

More than 100 businesses in the territory applied for the first phase of the program

City of Whitehorse staff will report back to city council members in three months, detailing where efforts are with the city’s wildfire risk reduction strategy and action plan for 2021 to 2024. (Crystal Schick/Yukon News file)
Council adopts wildfire risk reduction plan

Staff will report on progress in three months

asdf
WYATT’S WORLD

Wyatt’s World for Nov. 25, 2020

Ivan, centre, and Tennette Dechkoff, right, stop to chat with a friend on Main Street in Whitehorse on Nov. 24. Starting Dec. 1 masks will be mandatory in public spaces across the Yukon in order to help curb the spread of COVID-19. (Crystal Schick/Yukon News)
UPDATED: Masks mandatory in public places starting on Dec. 1

“The safe six has just got a plus one,” Silver said.

Keith Lay speaks at a city council meeting on Dec. 4, 2017. Lay provided the lone submission to council on the city’s proposed $33 million capital spending plan for 2021 on Nov. 23, taking issue with a number of projects outlined. (Crystal Schick/Yukon News file)
Resident raises issues with city’s capital budget

Council to vote on budget in December

Beatrice Lorne was always remembered by gold rush veterans as the ‘Klondike Nightingale’. (Yukon Archives/Maggies Museum Collection)
History Hunter: Beatrice Lorne — The ‘Klondike Nightingale’

In June of 1929, 11 years after the end of the First… Continue reading

Samson Hartland is the executive director of the Yukon Chamber of Mines. The Yukon Chamber of Mines elected a new board of directors during its annual general meeting held virtually on Nov. 17. (Joel Krahn/Yukon News file)
Yukon Chamber of Mines elects new board

The Yukon Chamber of Mines elected a new board of directors during… Continue reading

The Yukon Hospital Corporation has released its annual report for 2019-20, and — unsurprisingly — hospital visitations were down. (Crystal Schick/Yukon News file)
Annual report says COVID-19 had a large impact visitation numbers at Whitehorse General

The Yukon Hospital Corporation has released its annual report for 2019-20, and… Continue reading

Whitehorse City Hall. (Joel Krahn/Yukon News file)
City hall, briefly

A look at decisions made by Whitehorse city council this week

City council was closed to public on March 23 due to gathering rules brought on by the COVID-19 pandemic. The council is now hoping there will be ways to improve access for residents to directly address council, even if it’s a virtual connection. (Crystal Schick/Yukon News file)
Solution sought to allow for more public presentations with council

Teleconference or video may provide opportunities, Roddick says

Megan Waterman, director of the Lastraw Ranch, is using remediated placer mine land in the Dawson area to raise local meat in a new initiative undertaken with the Yukon government’s agriculture branch. (Submitted)
Dawson-area farm using placer miner partnership to raise pigs on leased land

“Who in their right mind is going to do agriculture at a mining claim? But this made sense.”

Most Read