Thank you very much, Pat Ellis of Whitehorse, for the following information. She also believed the population at the time to be around 500 in the winter.
Ellis’ information follows:
During 1900, the Mounties had headquarters in Whitehorse and Dawson City.
The Whitehorse compound was located on the same site which the RCMP buildings now occupy, but extended for four city blocks.
By 1902, the 20 buildings that made up the compound were completed and could accommodate up to 200 men. The self-contained community of log buildings included the headquarters, pumphouses, a guardroom, quartermaster’s and supply store, a harness room, saddler’s shop, hay storeroom, stable, a carpenter/blacksmith/tailor shop and an icehouse.
Frame buildings included the hospital, barracks and officers’, surgeons’, sergeants’ and sergeant majors’ quarters.
The compound also contained a canteen, a library, and a curling and hockey rink.
During 1910, the Whitehorse and Dawson posts merged with headquarters in Dawson City. By 1936, only four RCMP buildings were left in the Whitehorse compound.
Information courtesy a booklet from the Yukon Historical and Museums Association.