Man gets two years for drunk driving death

A Yukon judge sentenced a man to two years less a day for impaired driving causing death.

A Yukon judge sentenced a man to two years less a day for impaired driving causing death.

A tougher sentence would have resulted in an automatic deportation order for Christopher Maxwell-Smith, 27, effective after the jail term was completed. He is a citizen of the United Kingdom.

Under the current sentence, immigration officials may decide to allow him to stay in the country.

Maxwell-Smith was driving a Kia Sedona minivan with five passengers when he hit a patch of gravel and lost control of the vehicle.

The van rolled into the ditch, killing Valentino Vella who was thrown from the vehicle.

Vella was the only person in the van not wearing a seatbelt.

The group had gone for a few beers after work in Pelly Crossing on July 8, 2010, and then decided to drive to Carmacks for food and more drinks.

They were co-workers on a scaffolding crew. Maxwell-Smith was the supervisor.

Maxwell-Smith testified that he was distracted by his travelling companions momentarily when the van drifted onto the soft gravel shoulder of the highway. He overcorrected, crossing into the opposing lane, and the vehicle rolled.

He had ignored eight warning signs pointing to the upcoming construction zone.

Maxwell-Smith tried to perform CPR on Vella, but he was later declared dead at the scene.

According to evidence before the court, the van was travelling about 100 kilometres per hour when it left the highway, and faster before that. The speed limit in the construction zone was 70 kilometres per hour.

Maxwell-Smith admitted to having had three beers before driving, but said he did not feel impaired.

Breathalyzer results led experts to determine that Maxwell-Smith’s blood alcohol content was between 0.134 and 0.158 at the time of the crash, well above the legal limit of 0.08.

He also was driving with a B.C. learner’s licence, which restricted him from driving with more than two passengers or with any alcohol in his system.

Crown counsel asked for a sentence of four to 4.5 years, with an additional four months for offences related to failing to report to a bail officer and failing to appear in court.

Maxwell-Smith’s original trial date was delayed because he didn’t show up on the appointed day.

He eventually turned himself in to police in Ontario, and two Pelly Crossing RCMP retrieved him at a cost of $5,000.

Defence counsel argued that the sentence should be two years minus a day, given the mitigating factors of the case.

Maxwell-Smith had no prior criminal record or driving infractions.

He had a good upbringing, a good education, and a good work history, the court heard.

Defence tabled letters of support from family, friends and employers and noted that, aside from this incident, Maxwell-Smith has been a valuable contributing member of society.

He has a longtime girlfriend in Ontario, who continues to support him.

He wrote a letter to Vella’s mother while in custody, and she responded. Her reply expressed understanding, disappointment, fear, loss, and forgiveness, said defence counsel.

Maxwell-Smith has struggled with his responsibility for the death of a friend and co-worker, and has attended counselling sessions both while in custody and previously.

Judge Nancy Orr ultimately sided with the defence, imposing a sentence of two years minus a day, plus 18 months probation and a 10-year prohibition from driving.

She also ordered Maxwell-Smith to pay $5,000 in restitution to the Pelly Crossing RCMP for their expenses in retrieving him from Ontario.

The judge noted that she could have credited him with up to 11 months for time spent in custody, but credited him for none of it.

This allowed her to impose the longest possible sentence while still leaving the door open for immigration officials to decide whether or not he will be permitted to stay in Canada following his sentence.

Contact Jacqueline Ronson at

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Ivan, centre, and Tennette Dechkoff, right, stop to chat with a friend on Main Street in Whitehorse on Nov. 24. Starting Dec. 1 masks will be mandatory in public spaces across the Yukon in order to help curb the spread of COVID-19. (Crystal Schick/Yukon News)
UPDATED: Masks mandatory in public places starting on Dec. 1

“The safe six has just got a plus one,” Silver said.

Dr. Brendan Hanley, Yukon’s chief medical officer of health, speaks at a press conference in Whitehorse on March 30. Hanley announced three more COVID-19 cases in a release on Nov. 21. (Crystal Schick/Yukon News file)
Three more COVID-19 cases, new exposure notice announced

The Yukon’s Chief Medical Officer of Health, Dr. Brendan Hanley, announced three… Continue reading

Yukonomist Keith Halliday
Yukonomist: COVID-19 strikes another blow at high-school students

They don’t show up very often in COVID-19 case statistics, but they… Continue reading

The Cornerstone housing project under construction at the end of Main Street in Whitehorse on Nov. 19. Community Services Minister John Streicker said he will consult with the Yukon Contractors Association after concerns were raised in the legislature about COVID-19 isolation procedures for Outside workers at the site. (Crystal Schick/Yukon News)
Concerns raised about alternate self-isolation plans for construction

Minister Streicker said going forward, official safety plans should be shared across a worksite

Beatrice Lorne was always remembered by gold rush veterans as the ‘Klondike Nightingale’. (Yukon Archives/Maggies Museum Collection)
History Hunter: Beatrice Lorne — The ‘Klondike Nightingale’

In June of 1929, 11 years after the end of the First… Continue reading

Samson Hartland is the executive director of the Yukon Chamber of Mines. The Yukon Chamber of Mines elected a new board of directors during its annual general meeting held virtually on Nov. 17. (Joel Krahn/Yukon News file)
Yukon Chamber of Mines elects new board

The Yukon Chamber of Mines elected a new board of directors during… Continue reading

The Yukon Hospital Corporation has released its annual report for 2019-20, and — unsurprisingly — hospital visitations were down. (Crystal Schick/Yukon News file)
Annual report says COVID-19 had a large impact visitation numbers at Whitehorse General

The Yukon Hospital Corporation has released its annual report for 2019-20, and… Continue reading

Whitehorse City Hall. (Joel Krahn/Yukon News file)
City hall, briefly

A look at decisions made by Whitehorse city council this week

City council was closed to public on March 23 due to gathering rules brought on by the COVID-19 pandemic. The council is now hoping there will be ways to improve access for residents to directly address council, even if it’s a virtual connection. (Crystal Schick/Yukon News file)
Solution sought to allow for more public presentations with council

Teleconference or video may provide opportunities, Roddick says

Megan Waterman, director of the Lastraw Ranch, is using remediated placer mine land in the Dawson area to raise local meat in a new initiative undertaken with the Yukon government’s agriculture branch. (Submitted)
Dawson-area farm using placer miner partnership to raise pigs on leased land

“Who in their right mind is going to do agriculture at a mining claim? But this made sense.”

Riverdale residents can learn more details of the City of Whitehorse’s plan to FireSmart a total of 24 hectares in the area of Chadburn Lake Road and south of the Hidden Lakes trail at a meeting on Nov. 26. (Ian Stewart/Yukon News file)
Meeting will focus on FireSmart plans

Riverdale residents will learn more details of the City of Whitehorse’s FireSmarting… Continue reading

The City of Whitehorse is planning to borrow $10 million to help pay for the construction of the operations building (pictured), a move that has one concillor questioning why they don’t just use reserve funds. (Crystal Schick/Yukon News)
Councillor questions borrowing plan

City of Whitehorse would borrow $10 million for operations building

Most Read