LaRue’s lawyer plans to appeal

Norman LaRue's lawyer says he was shocked at Wednesday's first-degree murder verdict, and that Justice Scott Brooker likely made a mistake.

Norman LaRue’s lawyer says he was shocked at Wednesday’s first-degree murder verdict, and that Justice Scott Brooker likely made a mistake.

“I think the judge got it wrong in terms of he should have taken first degree off the table,” defence lawyer Ray Dieno told reporters after the verdict was heard on Wednesday.

“The evidence on first degree was so scant that it was a clear error,” he said.

LaRue had been on trial for the 2008 killing of Ibex Valley resident Gordon Seybold. LaRue and his then-girlfriend Christina Asp are accused of attacking Seybold in his own cabin with a baseball bat, beating him to death and burning the house down with his still-warm body inside.

Asp was convicted of second-degree murder for her role in the killing at a trial last year. On Wednesday, LaRue was sentenced to life in prison with no chance of parole for 25 years.

After LaRue’s verdict was heard, Brooker called the killing a “brutal and senseless murder.”

“You invaded the sanctity of Mr. Seybold’s home and then killed him,” Brooker said.

The day his client took the stand, Dieno made an appeal to have first-degree murder removed from the possible verdicts that the jury could find, arguing that there was not enough physical evidence to prove that LaRue planned the murder and was deliberate in carrying it out.

Justice Brooker disagreed but that decision could become part of an appeal that Dieno said he plans to file.

That wasn’t the only application Dieno made. He also asked to have the case declared a mistrial after the Crown prosecutor Bonnie Macdonald accidentally let a small piece of information about LaRue’s criminal past reach the jury.

Before the trial began, Brooker had ruled that any “bad character evidence” about LaRue’s criminal past, including his gang affiliations in prison, must be withheld from the jury because it might unfairly bias them.

On one of many tapes played for the jury, LaRue was heard talking to undercover police officers who he believed were powerful criminals that were offering him a job. The jury had been given a transcript of the recording to follow as it played, but at one point there was a mismatch between the words printed and the words they heard on the tape.

The written words referred to a time when LaRue was “ganged up.”

Dieno immediately objected, saying the inclusion of even one piece of inadmissible evidence was “outrageous.”

Both Dieno and the judge also had copies of the problematic transcript, and nobody caught the error.

Crown prosecutor David McWhinnie admitted that a mistake had been made, but argued that it was small enough that it could be corrected without prejudicing the jury.

“We are nowhere near mistrial territory,” McWhinnie said.

But Dieno wasn’t satisfied with simply correcting the transcript.

“Whether they put one piece or 20 pieces, it’s still in contravention to your order. It’s not up to defence to run the Crown’s case,” he said.

In the end, the jury was given new transcripts with the gang-related reference taken out, and the trial proceeded.

Contact Jesse Winter at

jessew@yukon-news.com

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Yukon First Nation Education Directorate education advocates and volunteers help to sort and distribute Christmas hamper grocery boxes outside Elijah Smith Elementary School on Feb. 23. (Rebecca Bradford Andrew/Submitted)
First Nation Education Directorate begins Christmas hamper program

Pick-ups for hampers are scheduled at local schools

Cyrine Candido, cashier, right, wipes down the new plexi-glass dividers at Superstore on March 28, before it was commonplace for them to wear masks. The Yukon government is relaunching the Yukon Essential Workers Income Support Program as the second wave of COVID-19 begins to take place in the territory. (Crystal Schick/Yukon News file)
Yukon Essential Workers Income Support Program extended to 32 weeks

More than 100 businesses in the territory applied for the first phase of the program

City of Whitehorse staff will report back to city council members in three months, detailing where efforts are with the city’s wildfire risk reduction strategy and action plan for 2021 to 2024. (Crystal Schick/Yukon News file)
Council adopts wildfire risk reduction plan

Staff will report on progress in three months

asdf
WYATT’S WORLD

Wyatt’s World for Nov. 25, 2020

Ivan, centre, and Tennette Dechkoff, right, stop to chat with a friend on Main Street in Whitehorse on Nov. 24. Starting Dec. 1 masks will be mandatory in public spaces across the Yukon in order to help curb the spread of COVID-19. (Crystal Schick/Yukon News)
UPDATED: Masks mandatory in public places starting on Dec. 1

“The safe six has just got a plus one,” Silver said.

Lev Dolgachov/123rf
The Yukon’s Information and Privacy Commissioner stressed the need to safeguard personal information while shopping this holiday season in a press release on Nov. 24.
Information and Privacy Commissioner issues reminder about shopping

The Yukon’s Information and Privacy Commissioner Diane McLeod-McKay stressed the need to… Continue reading

Keith Lay speaks at a city council meeting on Dec. 4, 2017. Lay provided the lone submission to council on the city’s proposed $33 million capital spending plan for 2021 on Nov. 23, taking issue with a number of projects outlined. (Crystal Schick/Yukon News file)
Resident raises issues with city’s capital budget

Council to vote on budget in December

Beatrice Lorne was always remembered by gold rush veterans as the ‘Klondike Nightingale’. (Yukon Archives/Maggies Museum Collection)
History Hunter: Beatrice Lorne — The ‘Klondike Nightingale’

In June of 1929, 11 years after the end of the First… Continue reading

Samson Hartland is the executive director of the Yukon Chamber of Mines. The Yukon Chamber of Mines elected a new board of directors during its annual general meeting held virtually on Nov. 17. (Joel Krahn/Yukon News file)
Yukon Chamber of Mines elects new board

The Yukon Chamber of Mines elected a new board of directors during… Continue reading

The Yukon Hospital Corporation has released its annual report for 2019-20, and — unsurprisingly — hospital visitations were down. (Crystal Schick/Yukon News file)
Annual report says COVID-19 had a large impact visitation numbers at Whitehorse General

The Yukon Hospital Corporation has released its annual report for 2019-20, and… Continue reading

Whitehorse City Hall. (Joel Krahn/Yukon News file)
City hall, briefly

A look at decisions made by Whitehorse city council this week

City council was closed to public on March 23 due to gathering rules brought on by the COVID-19 pandemic. The council is now hoping there will be ways to improve access for residents to directly address council, even if it’s a virtual connection. (Crystal Schick/Yukon News file)
Solution sought to allow for more public presentations with council

Teleconference or video may provide opportunities, Roddick says

Most Read