Kassi calls election, Linklater to make new bid for old job

Vuntut Gwitchin citizens will go to the polls on March 13 to elect a chief and three councillors.

Vuntut Gwitchin citizens will go to the polls on March 13 to elect a chief and three councillors.

Chief Norma Kassi won’t be seeking re-election, but her predecessor, Joe Linklater, will be putting his name back on the ballot.

The byelection will fill four seats until the end of the current four-year term, which began in late 2010.

Two months ago, Kassi, who has only been in power a little more than a year, warned of a looming election because the council no longer had a quorum.

Deputy chief Lorraine Netro had resigned and councillor Katherine Nukon had announced she would be retiring in the new year. The four-person council had already lost appointee Brandon Kyikavichik, who had quit just a few months into his term.

But in January the First Nation said that election had been put on hold.

It said it would wait for a newly struck constitutional review committee to present its results at the annual general assembly in April.

But in an interview from Old Crow this week, Kassi said things need to move sooner than that.

The new government is responsible for finishing up a few things before the fiscal-year end, she explained.

The former NDP MLA for the region confirmed once again that she will not be putting her name forward to run for chief.

“It was a very hard choice for me,” Kassi said. “I put a lot into stepping forward and trying to take a lead on making things stronger and better for our people in the future, in particular our young people, so I do this with a heavy heart.

“I’ve learned a lot from this past year and I’ve pretty much dedicated my whole life, so far, to politics and trying to make things better for our people and our homelands. And I will continue to try and make things better for our people but in the meantime, sometimes it’s best to just not resist moving forward, because it is in the best interest of the people. Sometimes, the best thing to do is just move on and let new leadership take over.”

But instead of new leadership, it’s actually a familiar face that is looking to take back control of the remote First Nation.

Former chief Joe Linklater said Monday he will put his name forward again to run for the job he held from November 1998 until he resigned in January 2011.

“I didn’t plan on stepping back in, but I see so much potential there that, in my mind, I’m just more volunteering and putting my name forward to try and help out. And then I’d step back out again, after the term’s up, and hopefully the next generation steps up and takes over.”

Linklater said he hasn’t been involved in what has been happening in Old Crow lately.

He has been in Central America, taking his first vacation in 12 years.

But he said he has noticed that Kassi’s leadership was straying from the trail he had blazed.

“They didn’t have the same vision,” he said. “They were, I think, moving along with a different set of priorities and that, I think, really threw the community a little bit. What we really need to do is not to have wholesale change but to evolve into who we’re going to be. In that sense, I think we’ve gone off in a direction the community’s not quite ready for.”

The processes in place to ensure community input and involvement were also being eroded, he said.

But Kassi shared the overall goal of building a healthier community, he said, even though she was going about it in a different way.

“We want to just try and develop a healthier community and work in partnership with public government to do it, as well, because if Old Crow’s healthier, the Yukon’s healthier.”

Margaret Smith, the only councillor remaining, will stay on for the rest of the four-year term.

Garry Njootli, who has run for chief twice before, once against Kassi, and was also the Yukon Party’s candidate in the last election, said he hasn’t decided if he’ll enter this race.

Contact Roxanne Stasyszyn at

roxannes@yukon-news.com

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Dr. Brendan Hanley, Yukon’s chief medical officer of health, speaks at a press conference in Whitehorse on March 30. Hanley announced three more COVID-19 cases in a release on Nov. 21. (Crystal Schick/Yukon News file)
Three more COVID-19 cases, new exposure notice announced

The Yukon’s Chief Medical Officer of Health, Dr. Brendan Hanley, announced three… Continue reading

Yukonomist Keith Halliday
Yukonomist: COVID-19 strikes another blow at high-school students

They don’t show up very often in COVID-19 case statistics, but they… Continue reading

The Cornerstone housing project under construction at the end of Main Street in Whitehorse on Nov. 19. Community Services Minister John Streicker said he will consult with the Yukon Contractors Association after concerns were raised in the legislature about COVID-19 isolation procedures for Outside workers at the site. (Crystal Schick/Yukon News)
Concerns raised about alternate self-isolation plans for construction

Minister Streicker said going forward, official safety plans should be shared across a worksite

The Yukon’s Chief Medical Officer of Health Dr. Brendan Hanley, pictured at a press conference in October, announced three new cases of COVID-19 on Nov. 20 as well as a new public exposure notice. (Crystal Schick/Yukon News file)
New COVID-19 cases, public exposure notice announced

The new cases have all been linked to previous cases

Beatrice Lorne was always remembered by gold rush veterans as the ‘Klondike Nightingale’. (Yukon Archives/Maggies Museum Collection)
History Hunter: Beatrice Lorne — The ‘Klondike Nightingale’

In June of 1929, 11 years after the end of the First… Continue reading

Samson Hartland is the executive director of the Yukon Chamber of Mines. The Yukon Chamber of Mines elected a new board of directors during its annual general meeting held virtually on Nov. 17. (Joel Krahn/Yukon News file)
Yukon Chamber of Mines elects new board

The Yukon Chamber of Mines elected a new board of directors during… Continue reading

The Yukon Hospital Corporation has released its annual report for 2019-20, and — unsurprisingly — hospital visitations were down. (Crystal Schick/Yukon News file)
Annual report says COVID-19 had a large impact visitation numbers at Whitehorse General

The Yukon Hospital Corporation has released its annual report for 2019-20, and… Continue reading

Whitehorse City Hall. (Joel Krahn/Yukon News file)
City hall, briefly

A look at decisions made by Whitehorse city council this week

City council was closed to public on March 23 due to gathering rules brought on by the COVID-19 pandemic. The council is now hoping there will be ways to improve access for residents to directly address council, even if it’s a virtual connection. (Crystal Schick/Yukon News file)
Solution sought to allow for more public presentations with council

Teleconference or video may provide opportunities, Roddick says

Megan Waterman, director of the Lastraw Ranch, is using remediated placer mine land in the Dawson area to raise local meat in a new initiative undertaken with the Yukon government’s agriculture branch. (Submitted)
Dawson-area farm using placer miner partnership to raise pigs on leased land

“Who in their right mind is going to do agriculture at a mining claim? But this made sense.”

Riverdale residents can learn more details of the City of Whitehorse’s plan to FireSmart a total of 24 hectares in the area of Chadburn Lake Road and south of the Hidden Lakes trail at a meeting on Nov. 26. (Ian Stewart/Yukon News file)
Meeting will focus on FireSmart plans

Riverdale residents will learn more details of the City of Whitehorse’s FireSmarting… Continue reading

The City of Whitehorse is planning to borrow $10 million to help pay for the construction of the operations building (pictured), a move that has one concillor questioning why they don’t just use reserve funds. (Crystal Schick/Yukon News)
Councillor questions borrowing plan

City of Whitehorse would borrow $10 million for operations building

Most Read