Inquest called in Rusk/McNamee tragedy

The territory’s chief coroner has called an inquest into the deaths of five people who were killed by carbon monoxide poisoning in their Porter Creek home this past winter.

The territory’s chief coroner has called an inquest into the deaths of five people who were killed by carbon monoxide poisoning in their Porter Creek home this past winter.

The Rusk family and their boarder Donald McNamee, 47, were all found dead in their Centennial Street home on January 29.

On Friday, the territory’s new chief coroner, Kirsten Macdonald announced she “has reason to believe” that holding an inquest would be “advisable.”

The entire Rusk family, including 45-year-old Bradley, his wife Valerie, 37, their 13-year-old son Gabriel and 11-year-old daughter Rebekah, had been feeling sick and were staying home from school and work in the days before their deaths. Tragically, that lengthened their exposure to the toxic gas that was slowly filling up their home.

The fire marshal’s report into the incident showed the old masonry chimney had been completely blocked with ice. This was caused both by the chimney’s state of disrepair – it was crumbling in on itself – and the improper installation of a new oil-burning furnace. Building codes detail that a liner should be placed within older chimneys and that the diameter be narrowed if newer appliances are hooked up to them. This wasn’t done at the Centennial Street home, but a city building inspector approved the installation.

The furnace was also improperly set. It was “under-fired” in an effort to be more energy efficient. This common practice caused the flue gases to be too cold for the old, unlined chimney. The exhaust, which is largely water vapour, then froze inside the chimney.

There was evidence that the furnace had been serviced. Two service stickers from Certified Heating and Service, owned by Lance Couch, dated October 27, 2010 and October 14, 2011, were found on the boiler.

Since the deaths, demands have been made from the public and opposition parties for government action on oil-burner equipment safety, oil-burner mechanic regulations and changes to the Landlord Tenant Act.

More than one report, commissioned by the Yukon Housing Corporation over five years ago, warned the government about the dismal state of the oil-burner industry in the territory and called for better regulation.

Those recommendations were ignored.

The Rusk family rented their Porter Creek home from 10785 Yukon Ltd., a company that lists Fae Jamieson and Geraldine Tuton as directors. The house did not have a carbon monoxide detector installed and has since been torn down.

Arrangements for the inquest, including gathering a jury of six people, will “begin in the near future,” Macdonald said on Monday. During the inquest, the jury and coroner will hear evidence, including testimony from subpoenaed witnesses, in hopes of providing recommendations that will prevent future deaths.

Macdonald would not elaborate on which witnesses may be called.

This is not the territory’s first inquest into carbon-monoxide-caused deaths, however.

Thirty-six years ago, an inquest looked into the deaths of two women who also died of carbon monoxide poisoning in their house.

That case also involved a badly-maintained masonry chimney that plugged with ice, causing toxic fumes from the oil-burning furnace to fill the house.

Documents at Yukon Archives show that in December 1975, Judith Armstrong, 27, and Dorothy Fraser, 61, were found dead in their 312 Alexander St. home.

The inquest that followed ruled Armstrong and Fraser’s deaths were accidental.

It called for the women’s chimney to be upgraded or replaced and for ongoing newspaper and radio advertisements to remind homeowners to keep an eye on masonry chimneys liable to clog.

Contact Roxanne Stasyszyn at roxannes@yukon-news.com

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Benjamin Poudou, Mount MacIntyre’s ski club manager, poses for a photo in the club’s ski rental area on Nov. 16. The club has sold around 1,850 passes already this year, compared to 1067 passes on Oct. 31 last year. (Crystal Schick/Yukon News)
Early season ski pass sales up as Yukoners prepare for pandemic winter

Season passe sales at Mount McIntyre for cross-country skiing are up by around 60 per cent this year

The City of Whitehorse will be spending $655,000 to upgrade the waste heat recovery system at the Canada Games Centre. (Crystal Schick/Yukon News file)
New waste heat recovery system coming to the CGC

Council approves $655,000 project

Yukon First Nation Education Directorate education advocates and volunteers help to sort and distribute Christmas hamper grocery boxes outside Elijah Smith Elementary School on Feb. 23. (Rebecca Bradford Andrew/Submitted)
First Nation Education Directorate begins Christmas hamper program

Pick-ups for hampers are scheduled at local schools

Cyrine Candido, cashier, right, wipes down the new plexi-glass dividers at Superstore on March 28, before it was commonplace for them to wear masks. The Yukon government is relaunching the Yukon Essential Workers Income Support Program as the second wave of COVID-19 begins to take place in the territory. (Crystal Schick/Yukon News file)
Yukon Essential Workers Income Support Program extended to 32 weeks

More than 100 businesses in the territory applied for the first phase of the program

Cody Pederson of the CA Storm walks around LJ’s Sabres player Clay Plume during the ‘A’ division final of the 2019 Yukon Native Hockey Tournament. The 2021 Yukon Native Hockey Tournament, scheduled for March 25 to 28 in Whitehorse next year, was officially cancelled on Nov. 24 in a press release from organizers. (John Hopkins-Hill/Yukon News file)
2021 Yukon Native Hockey Tournament cancelled

The 2021 Yukon Native Hockey Tournament, scheduled for March 25 to 28… Continue reading

Lev Dolgachov/123rf
The Yukon’s Information and Privacy Commissioner stressed the need to safeguard personal information while shopping this holiday season in a press release on Nov. 24.
Information and Privacy Commissioner issues reminder about shopping

The Yukon’s Information and Privacy Commissioner Diane McLeod-McKay stressed the need to… Continue reading

Keith Lay speaks at a city council meeting on Dec. 4, 2017. Lay provided the lone submission to council on the city’s proposed $33 million capital spending plan for 2021 on Nov. 23, taking issue with a number of projects outlined. (Crystal Schick/Yukon News file)
Resident raises issues with city’s capital budget

Council to vote on budget in December

Beatrice Lorne was always remembered by gold rush veterans as the ‘Klondike Nightingale’. (Yukon Archives/Maggies Museum Collection)
History Hunter: Beatrice Lorne — The ‘Klondike Nightingale’

In June of 1929, 11 years after the end of the First… Continue reading

Samson Hartland is the executive director of the Yukon Chamber of Mines. The Yukon Chamber of Mines elected a new board of directors during its annual general meeting held virtually on Nov. 17. (Joel Krahn/Yukon News file)
Yukon Chamber of Mines elects new board

The Yukon Chamber of Mines elected a new board of directors during… Continue reading

The Yukon Hospital Corporation has released its annual report for 2019-20, and — unsurprisingly — hospital visitations were down. (Crystal Schick/Yukon News file)
Annual report says COVID-19 had a large impact visitation numbers at Whitehorse General

The Yukon Hospital Corporation has released its annual report for 2019-20, and… Continue reading

Whitehorse City Hall. (Joel Krahn/Yukon News file)
City hall, briefly

A look at decisions made by Whitehorse city council this week

Most Read