Police are investigating another poisoned dog in Porter Creek.
Three dogs were poisoned in March by fast-acting strychnine. Two corgis died. The third, a German shepherd-husky cross, survived.
This latest poison was much more slow-acting. A man told police his 60-pound mixed-breed dog had been healthy the night of June 15, but next morning wasn’t able to walk properly.
The dog was brought to the vet where she received a blood transfusion and is now recovering.
Yukon RCMP Const. Julia Fox said the vet believes the poison could have been ingested any time between three to 20 days earlier.
According to the vet, once a dog starts showing symptoms, it’s too late to test for exactly what poison was used, Fox said.
Police are still investigating the poisonings from earlier this year. In March two corgis in Porter Creek died after ingesting strychnine.
Two weeks later a German shepherd-husky cross survived a strychnine poisoning. His owner said raw hamburger meat was found in his stomach.
Following the poisonings RCMP received multiple phone calls about residents finding suspicious meat. Samples were sent out for testing but no more poison was found.
The dogs poisoned with strychnine all lived on Tamarack Drive.
Fox said this latest dog did not live on Tamarack. The length of time the poison could have been in her system makes it difficult to say exactly where she picked it up.
The animal group Kona’s Coalition is offering a reward for any information that leads to an arrest. Kona’s Coalition can be reached at 867-334-4224, by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or through its Facebook page.
Whitehorse RCMP is asking anyone with any information to call the coalition or police at 867-667-5555.