Final CO results in, N.W.T. family has close call

The final toxicology results for the last of five people who died of carbon monoxide poisoning in their Porter Creek home in January have been handed over to the Yukon's chief coroner.

The final toxicology results for the last of five people who died of carbon monoxide poisoning in their Porter Creek home in January have been handed over to the Yukon’s chief coroner.

They show Bradley Rusk and Donald McNamee both had extremely high levels of carboxyhemoglobin in their bodies when they died. Rusk had 61 per cent and McNamee had 78 per cent.

Forty per cent is considered severe poisoning, while anything greater than 60 per cent may lead to death, coroner Sharon Hanley said earlier this month after releasing the results for Valerie Rusk, whose body showed more than 80 per cent and her children, Gabriel and Rebekah Rusk, whose bodies showed over 90 per cent.

Hanley is still waiting on a few more pieces of information before finishing up her own investigative report, she said.

After reviewing it all, she’ll decide whether to call an inquest into the Jan. 29 deaths.

But she doesn’t know how long that will take her.

Meanwhile, N.W.T. fire marshal Stephen Moss wasted no time issuing a warning after an Inuvik family was taken to hospital for carbon monoxide poisoning.

Earlier this week, Moss issued a “hazard alert” to residents with natural gas-burning, forced-air furnaces.

“We’ve identified that there are some furnace installations that have shown cracking in the heat-exchange portion of the appliance,” said Moss over the phone on Thursday. “We’ve started taking a bunch of corrective measures to deal with it.”

The cracking can allow the release of carbon monoxide into the home. It was found in one unit during a regular maintenance call, said Moss.

The mechanics then took it upon themselves to begin checking for this cracking during all other maintenance calls and, to their surprise, found it was quite common.

“At this point, we’ve had nobody showing signs of carbon monoxide poisoning,” said Moss.

But that didn’t stop him from issuing an alert to all N.W.T. residents to install carbon monoxide detectors and have their furnaces serviced.

Gas and oil-burner mechanics are regulated in the N.W.T., Moss said. Installations of oil and natural gas equipment are regulated by specific codes listed under legislation like the Gas Protection Act.

“This is something that we worry about all the time,” Moss said. But January’s tragedy in Whitehorse “sure brings it to the front of your plate,” he added.

The Inuvik family’s close call has been blamed on a collapsed and clogged chimney.

It is common for many of the appliances in the N.W.T. to be quite old and therefore more susceptible to possible problems, said Moss.

As in the Yukon, carbon monoxide detectors are only mandatory in homes built in 2005 or later.

Contact Roxanne Stasyszyn at

roxannes@yukon-news.com

Just Posted

Tagish dog rescue owner says she’s euthanized 10 dogs

Shelley Cuthbert said she put down 10 dogs after surrendering them to the animal health unit Feb. 15

Capstone prepares to sell Yukon’s Minto mine

‘We’re not buying this thing to close it down’

Broken hydrant floods Quartz Road

Leak might not be repaired until Feb. 19

Yukon’s alcohol label study back on but without a cancer warning

The Yukon government halted the program last year after concerns from industry

The North’s way of life is no match for social media’s prudish algorithms

Northerners now find their cultures under a new kind of puritan scrutiny

Most Canadians believe journalism plays critical role in democracy: poll

Survey suggests 94 per cent of Canadians feel journalism plays ‘important’ part

Team Yukon has strong showing at Whistler Super Youth and Timber Tour

‘Anwyn absolutely destroyed the competition’

Yukon skier turns in personal best at Junior World Championships

‘It was another great international racing experience’

Yukon child care deal to fund grandparents, courses for caregivers

‘How this is completely going to look, we’re still working on’

Full house for annual Native Bonspiel in Haines Junction

The 36th annual Yukon Native Bonspiel from Feb. 2 to 4 saw… Continue reading

Everything you need to know about wind chill

An Environment Canada warning preparedness meteorologist breaks down the winter value

The Fortymile was a dangerous river

Many miners died trying to traverse dangerous currents

Does the colour of your vehicle say something about your personality?

Red is flashy, black is sophisticated, blue is for wallflowers. Or so the thinking goes

Most Read