CTFN asks for another extension

In less than a week, the Carcross/Tagish First Nation could lose more than half of its budget. The southern Yukon Tlingit group has asked Ottawa for another six-month extension on its old funding arrangement.

In less than a week, the Carcross/Tagish First Nation could lose more than half of its budget.

The southern Yukon Tlingit group has asked Ottawa for another six-month extension on its old funding arrangement. Without any funding transfer in place, the First Nation’s self-government will be rendered essentially powerless.

Like most Yukon First Nation governments, Carcross/Tagish is scheduled to renegotiate its funding arrangement every five years.

In May 2011, the Tlingit group reached a stalemate with federal negotiators.

The First Nation refused Canada’s offer on the principle that it was “take-it-or-leave-it,” despite the aboriginal government’s constitutional right to negotiate, said Chief Danny Cresswell. Even though the offer was for more than the First Nation’s current funding, it is not in proportion to other Yukon First Nation agreements, said Cresswell. The offer also didn’t consider that the First Nation wants to create and provide its own programs and services, like school curriculum and adoption, to its own citizens, he said.

The First Nation has been trying to get Ottawa back to the table to negotiate a new financial transfer agreement for more than a year.

Cresswell was able to get a six-month extension on the last funding agreement, but that ends Oct. 1.

The issue came up in Parliament this week.

According to a letter from the First Nation to the Department of Aboriginal Affairs and Northern Development, Parliamentary Secretary Greg Rickford responded to questions from the Liberal critic, saying the government “remains ready and willing to work with the First Nation toward a renewed agreement.”

But Carcross/Tagish has not received any response to numerous letters, including the one handed directly to Minister John Duncan while he attended a Conservative barbecue at the Caribou Crossing Heritage Centre in the First Nation’s traditional territory during the Prime Minister’s Northern Tour on Aug. 20, the letter says.

After the barbecue, Cresswell told a gathering of peaceful protestors that the minister agreed to speak with the First Nation that Friday, Aug. 24.

On Thursday, Aug. 23 the minister’s Press Secretary Jan O’Driscoll told the News that no meeting was planned for Friday but that the northern policy advisor would be contacting the First Nation early the following week.

No one ever called, the First Nation confirmed.

And no response has been given regarding Cresswell’s request for another six-month extension.

“Without political intervention, funding will stop in a matter of days,” Cresswell was quoted in a Sept. 21 press release. “This will be devastating to our people and have grave consequences. The federal government is threatening to unilaterally defund a self-governing First Nation.”

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Whitehorse and Carcross will be among seven northern communities to have unlimited internet options beginning Dec. 1. (Yukon News file)
Unlimited internet for some available Dec. 1

Whitehorse and Carcross will be among seven northern communities to have unlimited… Continue reading

Willow Brewster, a paramedic helping in the COVID-19 drive-thru testing centre, holds a swab used for the COVID-19 test moments before conducting a test with it on Nov. 24. (Crystal Schick/Yukon News)
An inside look at the COVID-19 drive-thru testing centre

As the active COVID-19 case count grew last week, so too did… Continue reading

Conservation officers search for a black bear in the Riverdale area in Whitehorse on Sept. 17. The Department of Environment intends to purchase 20 semi-automatic AR-10 rifles, despite the inclusion of the weapons in a recently released ban introduced by the federal government, for peace officers, such as conservation officers. (Crystal Schick/Yukon News file)
Environment Minister defends purchase of AR-10 rifles for conservation officers

The federal list of banned firearms includes an exception for peace officers

Yukonomist Keith Halliday
Yukonomist: The K-shaped economic recovery and what Yukoners can do about it

It looks like COVID-19 will play the role of Grinch this holiday… Continue reading

Fossil finds at Mt. Stephen. (Photo: Sarah Fuller/Parks Canada)
Extreme hiking, time travel and science converge in the Burgess Shale

Climb high in the alpine and trace your family tree back millions of years – to our ocean ancestors

Black Press Media and BraveFace have come together to support children facing life-threatening conditions. Net proceeds from these washable, reusable, three-layer masks go to Make-A-Wish Foundation BC & Yukon.
Put on a BraveFace: Mask fundraiser helps make children’s wishes come true

From Black Press Media + BraveFace – adult, youth and kid masks support Make-A-Wish Foundation

Colin McDowell, the director of land management for the Yukon government, pulls lottery tickets at random during a Whistle Bend property lottery in Whitehorse on Sept. 9, 2019. A large amount of lots are becoming available via lottery in Whistle Bend as the neighbourhood enters phase five of development. (Crystal Schick/Yukon News file)
Lottery for more than 250 new Whistle Bend lots planned for January 2021

Eight commercial lots are being tendered in additional to residential plots

The Government of Yukon Main Administration Building in Whitehorse on Aug. 21. The Canada Border Services Agency announced Nov. 26 that they have laid charges against six people, including one Government of Yukon employee, connected to immigration fraud that involved forged Yukon government documents. (Crystal Schick/Yukon News file)
Charges laid in immigration fraud scheme, warrant out for former Yukon government employee

Permanent residency applications were submitted with fake Yukon government documents

Whitehorse City Hall. (Joel Krahn/Yukon News file)
City hall, briefly

A look at decisions made by Whitehorse city council this week

Karen Wenkebach has been appointed as a judge for the Yukon Supreme Court. (Yukon News file)
New justice appointed

Karen Wenckebach has been appointed as a judge for the Supreme Court… Continue reading

Catherine Constable, the city’s manager of legislative services, speaks at a council and senior management (CASM) meeting about CASM policy in Whitehorse on June 13, 2019. Constable highlighted research showing many municipalities require a lengthy notice period before a delegate can be added to the agenda of a council meeting. Under the current Whitehorse procedures bylaw, residents wanting to register as delegates are asked to do so by 11 a.m. on the Friday ahead of the council meeting. (Crystal Schick/Yukon News file)
Changes continue to be contemplated for procedures bylaw

Registration deadline may be altered for delegates

Cody Pederson of the CA Storm walks around LJ’s Sabres player Clay Plume during the ‘A’ division final of the 2019 Yukon Native Hockey Tournament. The 2021 Yukon Native Hockey Tournament, scheduled for March 25 to 28 in Whitehorse next year, was officially cancelled on Nov. 24 in a press release from organizers. (John Hopkins-Hill/Yukon News file)
2021 Yukon Native Hockey Tournament cancelled

The 2021 Yukon Native Hockey Tournament, scheduled for March 25 to 28… Continue reading

Most Read