The fire that killed a 67-year-old man earlier this month was not suspicious, Yukon’s fire marshal has ruled.
However, the cause of the Sept. 7 blaze remains undetermined.
Arthur Taylor was found dead after a trailer fire in the West Dawson community of Sunnydale.
The fire marshal’s office, the RCMP and the Yukon coroner’s service completed the investigation on Sept. 12.
In a statement issued Friday afternoon, the fire marshal’s office said there were two potential causes for the fire: an oil lamp being used at the time and a wood stove that had recently been cleaned out, with its ashes placed in a plastic tote box just outside.
Fire marshal Dennis Berry concluded his report by reminding Yukoners to never leave an open flame unattended and always dispose of ashes properly, in a non-combustible container away from other combustibles.
Contact Ashley Joannou at firstname.lastname@example.org