The Shooting of Robert Service (almost)

One hundred and one years ago, the writing career of Robert Service almost came to the same end as dangerous Dan McGrew.

One hundred and one years ago, the writing career of Robert Service almost came to the same end as dangerous Dan McGrew.

When he left the Yukon in 1912, never to return, Service accepted an assignment from the Toronto Daily Star, to cover the Balkan conflict. After that, he wandered through Europe, to Turkey, Bulgaria Austria and Germany and finally, Paris, where he met and married Germaine Bourgoin in June of 1913. His second novel was completed there and published in 1914.

By that summer, war had broken out and Service attempted to enlist. He was rejected because of his age and varicose veins, so he turned his hand to journalism, getting accreditation as a war correspondent with the Toronto Daily Star.

When the German advance into Belgium and France was stopped, they faced the Allies along a trench system that ran from Switzerland to the North Sea.

British reinforcements poured in through the French port of Calais and moved into position on the rapidly developing defensive line.

Service was in London the fall of 1914 where he met Mr. E.W. Walker, the head of the wholesale department for the Methodist Book Room back in Toronto. They discussed Service’s latest book, “The Pretender,” before it was issued. Service told Walker that he was going to the front to “see what he could see.” But a week later, he was back in London, with the amazing story of how he was almost executed by a French firing squad – for being a spy.

The Allied military high command did not want journalists in the trenches or at the battle front, so in the fall of 1914, Service joined other correspondents as near to the front as he could get at Calais:

“At the Station Hotel of Calais were a brilliant band of journalists,” he wrote, “but they depended on leave men and Blighty victims for their stories. [Blighty was a term loosely used by soldiers to describe any kind of wound that would result in their being sent back to England.]

I was not very successful. The regular newspaper men got tips that left me an outsider. I did not get much help from them; but one and all said: ‘If you value your skin don’t go near Dunkirk.’”

So that is exactly what he did. He clambered onto a train headed for Dunkirk, but knowing of its restrictions, and the likelihood of being sent packing if he got off the train there, he got off one station before and walked several kilometre to the battlefront city. Service certainly got an eyeful:

“I saw Indian troops looking strangely out of place in the mud and rain. I spoke to the weary poilus [French soldiers] fresh from the front.

I could hear the cannonading and it gave me a thrill of delight. I beheld my first string of German prisoners in grey-green coats, marching methodically. Troops were being landed in the Port and supply columns congested the narrow streets. All day I dodged from one vantage point to another, seeing a hundred things I was not supposed to see. And I was innocently happy thinking how I was getting ahead of the boys back in Calais.”

But he was arrested that evening by a local gendarme who suspected him of spying.

He was interrogated by a major, whose suspicions were heightened by the stamps in his passport from various countries, including Germany. An officer told him that they already had two spies and that as they were shot in groups of three, Service would be the third man for a proper execution. He was taken before a general and then locked up. Realizing the gravity of his behavior – sneaking into Dunkirk the back way – he asked to be taken to a British officer, who, after questioning him extensively, pointed out his suspicious activities during the day. He told Service:

“But are you aware you have no right to be here, and the faster you get out the better? As for the spy business, let me tell you that you’ve had a narrow escape. There’s a big scare on and they seem to have lost their heads. Only this morning they shot a half a dozen poor devils off hand. I am sure that some of them were innocent.

If I had not been there to intervene you might have become one of them. Now take your papers and GET OUT!’”

After the severe tongue-lashing, Service was sent packing on the first train for Calais, with warnings not to try it again. Back in Calais, his account of nearly being shot as a spy had the other journalists roaring with laughter. Within a week of his near-fatal adventure, he was back in London, where he was able to relate to Mr. Walker, the Canadian book man, what had happened to him.

It’s a good thing that his illustrious career did not end before a firing squad. Instead, he returned to his wife in Paris; a year later, he made his second foray into the battle zone, this time as a volunteer with an American ambulance unit. During this second visit to the front, he was witness to many stories of human interest. Day after day, he worked near the front lines, transporting what he called “the red harvest” from the battle zones to the hospitals farther back for treatment.

During this period he saw soldiers and civilians dealing with the hardships and disruption of war and how they lived under such circumstances. He wrote of his experiences and sent the dispatches to newspapers back in eastern Canada as well as the Yukon. He did not write of the hard news of the war, but of the ordinary civilians and soldiers he encountered. His accounts were so candid that it is a miracle the censors even allowed them to be published.

He was forced to retire from the battle front for a second time because of an outbreak of boils, but he was inspired to write about what he had seen and heard. The result was a book of poems about the war titled “Rhymes of a Red Cross Man.” The little book of verse is said to be the best-selling book of poetry of the Twentieth Century, and it would never have been written – if he had faced a firing squad in 1914!

Michael Gates is a Yukon historian and sometimes adventurer based in Whitehorse. His three books on Yukon history are available in Yukon stores. You can contact him at

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

During our recent conversation, John Nicholson showed me snapshots of his time working on the Yukon riverboats 70 years ago. (Michael Gates)
History Hunter: Yukon man relives the riverboat days after seven decades

John Nicholson took summer work on Yukon steamers in the 1950s

NDP candidate Annie Blake, left, and Liberal incumbent Pauline Frost. (Submitted photos)
Official recount confirms tie vote in Vuntut Gwitchin riding

Both candidates Pauline Frost and Annie Blake are still standing with 78 votes each

Artist’s rendering of a Dairy Queen drive-thru. At its April 13 meeting, Whitehorse city council approved a zoning change to allow a drive-thru at 107 Range Road. Developers sought the change to build a Dairy Queen there. (Submitted)
Drive-thru approved by Whitehorse city council at 107 Range Road

Rezoning could pave the way for a Dairy Queen


Wyatt’s World for April 14, 2021.… Continue reading

Joel Krahn/ Hikers traverse the Chilkoot Trail in September 2015. Alaska side.
The Canadian side of the Chilkoot Trail will open for summer

The Canadian side of the Chilkoot Trail will open for summer Parks… Continue reading

École Whitehorse Elementary Grade 7 students Yumi Traynor and Oscar Wolosewich participated in the Civix Student Vote in Whitehorse on April 12. (Haley Ritchie/Yukon News)
Yukon Student Vote chooses Yukon Party government; NDP take popular vote

The initiative is organized by national non-profit CIVIX

Yvonne Clarke is the newly elected Yukon Party MLA for Porter Creek Centre. (Submitted/Yukon Party)
Yvonne Clarke elected as first Filipina MLA in the Yukon Legislative Assembly

Clarke beat incumbent Liberal Paolo Gallina in Porter Creek Centre

Emily Tredger at NDP election night headquarters after winning the Whitehorse Centre riding. (Stephanie Waddell/Yukon News)
Emily Tredger takes Whitehorse Centre for NDP

MLA-elect ready to get to work in new role

Chief Medical Officer of Health Dr. Brendan Hanley. (Crystal Schick/Yukon News)
Two new cases of COVID-19 variant identified in territory

“If variants were to get out of control in the Yukon, the impact could be serious.”

Today’s Mailbox: Rent freezes and the youth vote

Dear Editor, I read the article regarding the recommendations by the Yukon… Continue reading

Point-in-Time homeless count planned this month

Volunteers will count those in shelters, short-term housing and without shelter in a 24-hour period.

The Yukon’s new ATIPP Act came into effect on April 1. Yukoners can submit ATIPP requests online or at the Legislative Assembly building. (Gabrielle Plonka/Yukon News file)
New ATIPP Act in effect as of April 1

The changes promise increased government transparency

Most Read