Our two Corgi dogs, Becky and Cooper, were poisoned on March 15. The toxicology report states strychnine was present in their systems.
It needs to be clear our dogs were poisoned while in our own back yard, which is fully enclosed by a five-foot fence and a locking gate – a space normally considered a safe place for both kids and pets to play on a daily basis. It is hard to fathom what might have happened if a young child had mistakenly come into contact with this dangerous substance!
We would like to point out that Becky and Cooper were not nuisance dogs. We never received a complaint from neighbours or the city’s bylaw department.
Furthermore, our dogs were rarely off leash when we went out of our yard.
Becky and Cooper were not just dogs but members of our family. To lose them so tragically and horrifically has been devastating, and we cannot understand why someone would poison our dogs.
Neighbours, please be extra vigilant not only when walking your dogs but when allowing pets and children out to play!
Bylaw officers and the RCMP continue to investigate the situation and we hope those responsible are brought to justice.
If anyone has any information, we ask you to please come forward.
Wade and Christine Kopan