As I read the heart-wrenching story of Shawn Johnnie’s tragic fire, my heart went out to him and I really appreciated my warm home and bed in the cold of winter.
Also, on reading how it started I soon asked myself “where’s the fire extinguisher?”
It seems like a quick blast or two with one might have saved the house and its contents.
I’ve been living off and on since the 1970s in older houses and cabins, heating and cooking with wood stoves. One of the first things on moving in and making a home is establishing where the fire extinguishers are (I often have more than one, in various places).
Believe me, they do work well on a relatively large blaze.
Please people, it’s a small cost for something that could keep a small accident from becoming a tragedy, maybe a fatality.
It reminded me of the story a while back on the radio of a young lady hoping to be able to dance again after being thrown from a car during an accident and how often I hear of someone killed after being thrown from a car where seatbelt use likely would have changed the outcome.
As a volunteer firefighter who also does EMS and search and rescue, it’s sad to see or hear of the outcomes of not using simple, cheap precautions like seatbelts, fire extinguishers, bike helmets, life vests, etc.
There’s nothing sissy about trying to take care of yourself so you, and others, don’t have to deal with the results of imprudence.