Left meets right

Left meets right I enjoyed the levity that M. Pelter injected into the Op-ed page on June 10. Calling the Yukon News a left wing rag just put me in fits of hysteria. Pelter has resorted to the standard mantra of the right wing by chanting the papers have

I enjoyed the levity that M. Pelter injected into the Op-ed page on June 10. Calling the Yukon News a left wing rag just put me in fits of hysteria.

Pelter has resorted to the standard mantra of the right wing by chanting the papers have criticized us, therefore they are left wing; the papers are all against us, and therefore they are left wing.

If he had bothered to read the News during the last election he would have seen the Green Party ignored, the NDP summarily dismissed, the Liberals continually criticized and the Conservatives praised at every turn.

Elections Canada should really consider the amount of favourable press that the Conservatives got as campaign contributions. Even so, the News’ coverage was better than the other news outlets in Whitehorse, whose total devotion to “balanced ” news went south in the blood lust to elect the Conservatives.

After five years of Conservative destruction of our public broadcaster, even the CBC has become a right wing mouthpiece.

As for the cartoon, it hit the nail right on the head.

Pelter has not been listening to the Conservative right as they attempt to ram their Christian American conservative agenda down the rest of Canada’s throat.

The Conservatives believe that, with 39 per cent of the vote, they now have the right to mould Canada in their image and the rest of the 61 per cent of us can just suck it up.

At least it took the Liberals several years to develop the right-to-rule attitude, the Conservatives are packing the kits for the newbie parliamentarians and bringing it on the first day.

Pelter, it may be difficult to handle when your golden idol Harper is criticized, but get used to it. The arrogance the Conservatives have displayed toward the majority of Canadians, the theft of public funds, lying to the country and the willingness to continue on their present course will no doubt bring further criticism of your sacred cow.

Since you seem to see leftist plots under every rock, I was reminded of this little ditty from many years ago:

There’s a meeting at the courthouse at 8 o’clock tonight.

You just come in the door, take the first turn to the right.

Be careful when you get there, we hate to be bereft,

But we’re taking down the names of everybody turning left.

The Yukon News a leftist rag, I’m still giggling over that!

I remain, a leftist pinko freak, and proud of it.

Hoby Irwin

Whitehorse