Governments spend, we pay

Governments spend, we pay I have an opinion, along with some statistics. First off, I am not an economist, but I can balance my chequebook. From the Yukon government stats site I have gleaned a few numbers. First off, the Yukon's population is about 35,8

I have an opinion, along with some statistics. First off, I am not an economist, but I can balance my chequebook. From the Yukon government stats site I have gleaned a few numbers.

First off, the Yukon’s population is about 35,862 people. Employed people amount to about 18,800. Of this number 38.2 per cent were public employees. That leaves 61.8 per cent that have to support our Yukon government and all the monies that have to be spent. Among things like paying the public employees their wages and benefits.

Now we have a budget of approximately $1.2 billion. Of the 18,800 people working, there are about 7,182 public employees. That leaves 11,618 people. With a budget of $1.2 billion dollars that equates to about $99,000 dollars per working person to contribute to the government so that they can pay.

Now, I do not think the average wage earner does not even make close to that in gross pay, let alone enough to be taxed the $99,000 dollars that would be required.

My point is that we can not continue on this road that we are on. Our friends and neighbours to the south of us will cut off our transfer payments and we will be up the proverbial creek without a paddle.

As you should know, the government, any government, does not create wealth. It only taxes it. It is private industry that creates wealth. It is the placer miner, the hard rock miner, the farmer, the grocer etc. Not government! I expect a lot of verbal abuse because of what is written. It is my intention to let people know and think about the direction we are headed.

Don Hrehirchek

Marsh Lake