Open letter to Yukon Premier Darrell Pasloski and Energy, Mines and Resources Minister Brad Cathers:
I was present last Thursday at the legislature and was witness, with many others, to your appalling and cowardly display of contempt for the members of the opposition and their questions, the Yukon people and democracy.
In your non-answers, Mr. Cathers, you repeatedly sought to remind the opposition of “a few facts.”
Well, I would like to remind you of a few facts:
* Seven years and over $1.5 million worth of hard work and meaningful consultation by the Peel Watershed Land Use Planning Commission were undertaken to come up with a recommended plan.
* The four affected First Nations want 100 per cent protection of the Peel watershed.
* A recent poll showed that 75 per cent of Yukoners want significant protection in the Peel watershed.
* Ninety per cent of people who commented during planning commission consultation want significant protection in the Peel watershed.
* Fifty-seven per cent of Yukoners who voted in the last election voted for parties who supported the recommended land use plan.
There are a few other things you should know. We’re not stupid. Your eight principles and your newspaper-ad propaganda campaign aren’t fooling anyone. You can keep your heads buried in the sand, trying to ignore us but we’re still here and we’re not going anywhere and we will keep fighting for real protection of the Peel watershed.
Oh yeah, and I’ll bet even you can figure out that with your heads buried in the sand, which part of your anatomy is left sticking up in the air.