Boot Hill is all that survives of grandest town in the gold fields

Ed Jones is one of the most remarkable history hunters in the Yukon. He and his wife Star have carved out a sizeable niche in the study of Yukon's history.

Ed Jones is one of the most remarkable history hunters in the Yukon. He and his wife Star have carved out a sizeable niche in the study of Yukon’s history.

On Discovery Day this year, I found myself struggling up a steep, wet, tree-covered hill, trying to keep up with Ed, who was leading us unerringly to our destination: the Grand Forks cemetery.

For the last dozen years or so, Ed and Star, who first came to the Klondike 47 years ago, have devoted themselves, among other interesting projects, to recording the deaths of thousands of early Yukoners. With the help of many friends, they have restored numerous cemeteries in Dawson City and the gold fields.

This summer, Ed and Star chose the surviving remains of the Grand Forks cemetery as the target of their conservation efforts.

First of all, they expanded the inventory of surviving markers from two to six; next, they provided new supports for the markers so that they wouldn’t lie in the grass, rotting away. In some cases, special bases were manufactured and staked into the ground as supports for the markers.

Where the lettering was still visible on the markers, they in-filled them with fresh paint to both protect and emphasize the lettering.

All around me I could see mounds and depressions carved into the hillside. Ed estimates that as many as 130 people were buried on this hillside, which was about the only place in the vicinity that was safe from disturbance by mining.

One of the surviving markers, an unusual tall, cylindrical feature, was badly eaten away at the bottom by ants. Only the upper portion of the marker was sound. With help from local miner Jim Archibald, Ed fashioned a special wooden base, which was staked deep into the ground, to support the marker.

After the ant-ridden material was cut away, a metal plate was screwed into the sound wood at the bottom of the marker. This was then mounted on the base. Surely this would hold the remainder of the marker firmly in place, yet within weeks of installation, we saw that the marker had been pushed off of its base and tilted crazily.

We speculated that either bears, or vandals, were responsible for the damage. I prefer to think that a bear, rather than humans are at fault.

Looking down into the valley through the trees from this vantage point we could see two small streams, Eldorado and Bonanza, snaking their way along the valley bottoms to their confluence below us. There are piles of gravel tailings down there, now overgrown with willow that testifies to past mining activity.

All we could hear at the time of our visit was the quiet of the hills, the burbling water on rocks, and the voices of a couple shovelling the nearby gravels of the free claim sponsored by the Klondike Visitors Association. No mining machinery disturbed the stillness.

A derelict building collapsing into the hill by the side of the road is all that remains of what was once a bustling, dynamic community, the second largest in the Yukon.

When Dawson was at its peak, it had a population of at least 15,000; at Grand Forks, there were 4,000. So what happened to Grand Forks?

Nestled at the junction of Eldorado and Bonanza Creeks, “the Forks” was a natural place for people to gather.

While smaller settlements grew up at Gold Bottom, Caribou City, Gold Run, Bear Creek, Sulphur and Granville Creeks, Eldorado and Bonanza were the two most spectacular and richest creeks in the Klondike.

By 1897, the summer after the discovery of gold, there were already 30 or 40 buildings clustered there. Then, in the fall of 1897, Belinda Mulrooney, soon to be the undisputed business queen of the Klondike, built the Grand Forks Hotel.

Other businesses soon followed. The North American Transportation & Trading Company of Dawson had a branch store there, as did Oak Hall, the mens’ clothing store, and Dawson merchant Emil Mohr.

By 1900, there were at least ten hotels, including the Gold Hill, the Dewey, the Blanchard, Vendome, Butler, Garvie, Eldorado and the Grand.

Grand Forks could boast of two blacksmiths, three drug stores, including one owned by Walter Woodburn, who was, for a time, the closest thing that “the Forks” ever had to a mayor.

There were two butchers, a laundry, two freighting businesses and a livery stable. There were two photo studios, bakeries, restaurants and a variety of mercantile outlets appropriate for a town of such size.

At its peak there were 3,727 men, 283 women and 123 children.

The community could boast of a variety of services. It had a hospital, a doctor and a dentist. There was a branch of the Standard Circulating Library. There was a fire department, electricity, and telephone service (for $30 a month) that connected with Dawson City and the gold fields.

There were three churches, the Roman Catholic, the Anglican and the Presbyterian, the latter of which also provided space for a school until the government paid for one to be built in 1903, and hired a teacher.

Grand Forks had its own detachment of Mounted Police, and nearby, a red light district. There was a post office for the delivery of mail, under the official community name of “Bonanza.”

If Dawson had Joe Ladue, the Forks had its own king – Max Endelman, who owned much of the land and many of the businesses. Endelman imported Violet Raymond, an entertainer from Juneau, to be his mistress. Raymond was lured away from Endelman with gold and jewelry by Eldorado millionaire Antone Stander, and Endelman seemed to be too busy to care.

The Forks had a social life, with gambling, dancing, social events, sports, and of course, celebrating the Queen’s birthday on May 24th, followed some time later by Dominion Day (July 1st). The Fourth of July was also a favourite event; after all, there were plenty of Americans mining in the Klondike.

Grand Forks was accessible from Dawson by a government road. By 1905, the Klondike Mines Railway had been constructed, with a station at the Forks; this heralded the undoing of the town.

The railroad brought in much of the equipment used by the corporate mining interests, who were buying the claims along the creeks. The miners who sold out moved away, and by 1906, Grand Forks was in decline.

By 1911, the gold-mining dredges dug their way through town, so little remains today to remind us of the town that was once the hub of the gold fields.

But the dredges didn’t touch the cemetery, which was perched high up on the side of the hill, beyond their reach. Instead, it stayed there, neglected and almost totally forgotten, until only a few of the markers remained to remind us of the lives lived and concluded in this once bustling gold mining centre.

Michael Gates is a local historian

and sometimes adventurer

based in Whitehorse.

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Wyatt’s World

Wyatt’s World for March 5, 2021.

City councillor Samson Hartland in Whitehorse on Dec. 3, 2018. Hartland has announced his plans to run for mayor in the Oct. 21 municipal election. (Crystal Schick/Yukon News file)
Councillor sets sights on mayor’s chair

Hartland declares election plans

Premier Sandy Silver speaks to media after delivering the budget in the legislature in Whitehorse on March 4. (Haley Ritchie/Yukon News)
Territorial budget predicts deficit of $12.7 million, reduced pandemic spending in 2021-2022

If recovery goes well, the territory could end up with a very small surplus.

Dawson City RCMP are reporting a break and enter on Feb. 25 after two masked men entered a residence, assaulted a man inside with a weapon and departed. (Black Press file)
Two men arrested after Dawson City home invasion

Dawson City RCMP are reporting a break and enter on Feb. 25.… Continue reading

Highways and Public Works Minister Richard Mostyn speaks to reporters at a news conference in Whitehorse on Dec. 21, 2017. New ATIPP laws are coming into effect April 1. (Chris Windeyer/Yukon News file)
New access to information laws will take effect April 1

“Our government remains committed to government openness and accountability.”

Chief Medical Officer of Health Dr. Brendan Hanley receives his first dose of the COVID-19 vaccine from Public Health Nurse Angie Bartelen at the Yukon Convention Centre Clinic in Whitehorse on March 3. (Crystal Schick/Yukon News)
State of emergency extended for another 90 days

“Now we’re in a situation where we see the finish line.”

Team Yukon athletes wave flags at the 2012 Arctic Winter Games opening ceremony in Whitehorse. The 2022 event in Wood Buffalo, Alta., has been postponed indefinitely. (Justin Kennedy/Yukon News file)
2022 Arctic Winter Games postponed indefinitely

Wood Buffalo, Alta., Host Society committed to rescheduling at a later date

Crews work to clear the South Klondike Highway after an avalanche earlier this week. (Submitted)
South Klondike Highway remains closed due to avalanches

Yukon Avalanche Association recommending backcountry recreators remain vigilant

RCMP Online Crime Reporting website in Whitehorse on March 5. (Haley Ritchie/Yukon News)
Whitehorse RCMP launch online crime reporting

Both a website and Whitehorse RCMP app are now available

A man walks passed the polling place sign at city hall in Whitehorse on Oct. 18, 2018. The City of Whitehorse is preparing for a pandemic-era election this October with a number of measures proposed to address COVID-19 restrictions. (Crystal Schick/Yukon News file)
City gets set for Oct. 21 municipal election

Elections procedures bylaw comes forward

A rendering of the Normandy Manor seniors housing facility. (Photo courtesy KBC Developments)
Work on seniors housing project moves forward

Funding announced for Normandy Manor

Tom Ullyett, pictured, is the first Yukoner to receive the Louis St-Laurent Award of Excellence from the Canadian Bar Association for his work as a community builder and mentor in the territory. (Gabrielle Plonka/Yukon News)
Tom Ullyett wins lifetime achievement award from the Canadian Bar Association

Ullyett has worked in the Yukon’s justice ecosystem for 36 years as a public sector lawyer and mentor

The Blood Ties outreach van will now run seven nights a week, thanks to a boost in government funding. Logan Godin, coordinator, and Jesse Whelen, harm reduction counsellor, are seen here on May 12, 2020. (Crystal Schick/Yukon News file)
Blood Ties outreach van running seven nights a week with funding boost

The Yukon government is ramping up overdose response, considering safe supply plan

Most Read