Three Porter Creek dogs all poisoned with strychnine

Three Porter Creek dogs all poisoned with strychnine Tests have confirmed that a sick Porter Creek dog was poisoned with strychnine.

Tests have confirmed that a sick Porter Creek dog was poisoned with strychnine, the same substance that has already killed two other pets.

Meanwhile, suspicious meat found last week outside a home in the area has been sent Outside for testing.

Trigger, a German shepherd-husky cross, survived the strychnine poisoning in late March.

In separate news releases yesterday, both RCMP and Whitehorse’s bylaw department say toxicology tests confirmed the poison was strychnine.

It’s the same compound found in two Welsh corgis that died two weeks earlier and lived on the same street.

Trigger’s owner has said raw hamburger meat was found in his stomach.

The investigation into the poisonings has been taken over by the RCMP.

At about 8:30 a.m. on Friday police got a call about rare meat in the front yard of a home in the 9th and 10th Avenue area, RCMP spokesperson Cpl. Natasha Dunmall said yesterday afternoon.

This particular meat was not hamburger. It appears to be strips of meat off of a moose or bison carcass, Dunmall said.

But because of the previous poisonings, the meat is being sent Outside for testing, she said.

Meanwhile the investigation into the three confirmed poisonings is ongoing.

“This is still an active investigation, however if someone sees suspicious activity or items deposited in their neighbours’ yard, bring attention to it,” Dunmall said in a statement.

“It may just save a beloved pet.”

Strychnine is an odorless, colorless crystalline powder that affects the nervous system by causing uncontrolled firing of the nerves, which can result in death.

Bylaw is also encouraging people to keep an eye out.

“It is not known how these dogs came into contact with the substance. Bylaw officers have visited homes in the area to notify residents of the incidents and encourage everyone to take additional precautions at this time,” the department says.

“Dog owners are reminded to always be vigilant of what their animals could be ingesting when they are away from their property, or if there is anything suspicious in their yard.”

Anyone with information is asked to call the RCMP at 667-5555. 

Just Posted

Yukoners taken as part of Sixties Scoop file class action lawsuit

Suit alleges government violated the rights of hundreds of Indigenous children from 1950 to 1993

Crown asks for ‘audio-visual exhibit’ to be sealed in Yukon child sex-abuse case

The application is related to a case where a man pled guilty to abusing 11 girls under the age of 14

Gold Rush star Tony Beets to appeal pond fire fines

The Yukon miner will appeal the $31k in fines he and his company are facing for Water Act violations

City begins transit master plan project

Survey seeking input on bus service open until Nov. 10

Yukon First Nations leader Mike Smith dies at 71

‘He was just a kind and gentle individual and he didn’t want anybody to want for anything’

The Yukon government has disgraced itself

The Department of Justice must come clean about the scope of abuse settlements

How low can we go?

Unemployment in the Yukon is low, but the reasons why may indicate problems

Five Aboriginal B.C. knowledge keepers to know

These museums and dedicated Indigenous leaders are crucial to cultural revitalization in B.C.

Mary Lake residents fret over infill

‘They paid top dollar’

Water study for Whitehorse infill lots technically sound, consultant says

‘This study is based on a lot of good information’

Yukon Workers’ Compensation Health and Safety Board to increase rates in 2018

All but one industry will see a rate increase in 2018

Yukon Liberals table supplementary budget

Projected surplus continues to shrink from $6.5M to $3.1M

Most Read