Dawson City placer mining proposal withdrawn

A recent application for a 10-year permit to mine placer claims on the east side of the Dome Road in Dawson City has been discontinued - for now.

A recent application for a 10-year permit to mine placer claims on the east side of the Dome Road in Dawson City has been discontinued – for now.

The decision stems from a disagreement between the two co-owners of the majority of the claims included in the application – Darrell Carey and Rod Adams.

Adams said he didn’t know Carey had submitted a proposal to mine the claims until he saw it in the news earlier this month.

He then informed the Yukon Environmental and Socio-economic Assessment Board that he didn’t support the application, which brought the process to a halt.

Carey’s proposal came up in the legislative assembly this month, when NDP mining critic Jim Tredger raised concerns that Dawson residents would soon have “a new mine operating in their backyard.”

Of the 31 claims included in the proposal, six belong to Carey alone. Carey and Adams jointly own the remaining 25. Their company is called 47162 Yukon Inc.

But the original YESAB proposal lists Carey as the sole proponent for all 31 claims.

“I wasn’t even considered and I wasn’t part of the ownership,” Adams said. “It’s a 50/50 property and I wasn’t agreeable with his application.”

YESAB’s Dawson manager, Shelby Jordan, wrote an email to Carey’s agent on Tuesday explaining why the application was being discontinued.

“While I recognize that Mr. Carey is a director of 47162 Yukon Inc. so is Mr. Adams and as it stands right now the corporation… is not the listed proponent for the submission we have before us,” she wrote. “Obviously there are some matters that need to be taken care of between Mr. Carey and Mr. Adams with respect to the corporation and those registered claims. Until that happens, there isn’t much we can do on this front with respect to those claims.”

Adams said he and Carey did some work together on those claims in 2013. But he said they haven’t spoken since then.

He wouldn’t give any details about the nature of their disagreement. “We couldn’t get along,” was all he said.

Adams said he and Carey are now planning to break up the company. He said they’re scheduled to appear before Yukon Supreme Court in February 2016 to figure out who will retain ownership of the 25 claims.

He said he doesn’t know why Carey decided to submit an application now, before their dispute has been settled.

Carey declined to comment for this story.

Still, this hiccup doesn’t mean the claims won’t be mined. Adams said he plans to submit his own application if he gets to keep the claims. He didn’t give any details about what his proposal would look like, saying only that “there’s a lot of difference between his (Carey’s) application and my application.”

Sebastian Jones, a board member of the Klondike Active Transport and Trails Society, said he’s “relieved” the application has been discontinued. He said Carey’s proposal would have destroyed a number of cross-country ski trails on the east side of the Dome Road. But he knows the proposal isn’t necessarily gone for good.

“This issue has not gone away.”

He said the society has tried to contact Carey to ask about the project, but hasn’t heard back.

YESAB spokesperson Rob Yeomans said now that the application has been discontinued, Carey can’t simply pick up where he left off. If he does retain ownership of the claims, he will have to submit a new project proposal and start the YESAB process over again.

Carey’s Slinky mine on the west side of the Dome Road has been the subject of controversy for the last several years, in part because his claims are located where the Yukon government wants to build a new subdivision.

A deal was reached in 2014 that saw the Yukon government agree to reroute the Dome Road around Carey’s claims to give him easier access. In exchange, Carey agreed to finish mining the area by the end of 2017 and to surrender some or all of his claims after that.

In the legislative assembly earlier this month, Tredger asked why the claims on the east side of the road were not included in the 2014 agreement. The government didn’t answer the question directly.

According to Carey’s latest YESAB application, the claims on the east side of the Dome Road are further from existing residences than the Slinky mine is. However, it did note that some residences overlap the northernmost claims, and promised that “a 100-metre buffer will remain undisturbed in this area.”

Contact Maura Forrest at

maura.forrest@yukon-news.com

Just Posted

Silver rules out HST, layoffs and royalty changes

Yukon’s financial advisory panel has released its final report

City of Whitehorse budgets $30M for infrastructure over four years

‘I think we’re concentrating on the most important things’

Yukon community liaison for MMIWG inquiry fired

Melissa Carlick, the Whitehorse-based community liaison officer for the national Missing and… Continue reading

Yukon man holds no grudge after being attacked by bison

‘The poor guy was only trying to fend off someone who he knew was trying to kill him’

Straight and true: the story of the Yukon colours

Michael Gates | History Hunter Last week, I participated in the 150th… Continue reading

Get ready to tumble: Whitehorse’s Polarettes to flip out at fundraiser

‘There’s a mandatory five-minute break at the end, just so people don’t fall over’

Alaska’s governor goes to China

There are very different rules for resource projects depending on which side of the border you’re on

Yukon survey shows broad support for legal pot

But there’s no consensus on retail and distribution models

Yukon government releases survey on the territory’s liquor laws

Changes could include allowing sale of booze in grocery stores

Get family consent before moving patients to other hospitals: NDP critic

‘Where is the respect and where is the dignity?’

Bill C-17 passes third reading in House of Commons

The bill, which will repeal controversial amendments made to YESAA by Bill S-6, will now go to Senate

White Pass and Yukon Route musical chugs on without director

The cast and crew of Stonecliff are pushing forward without Conrad Boyce, who went on medical leave

Most Read