City to hike housing costs

The city wants to tack on more charges to the already high cost of buying a house. Monday, planning manager Mike Gau introduced the proposed development rates for new houses.

The city wants to tack on more charges to the already high cost of buying a house.

Monday, planning manager Mike Gau introduced the proposed development rates for new houses.

Single detached houses will get slapped with an extra $1,000 fee bringing the total to $3,500.

The rates for living suites will increase from $1,500 to $2,000.

And serviced country residential lots will now be charged a new fee of $1,000.

These development charges are eventually added to the building permits paid for by developers.

The charges are meant to pay for municipal services like roads and sewer and water lines, and to offset the need for more city taxes, said Gau.

“We haven’t updated these fees for some time and that’s why we’re bringing this forward,” he said.

But some councillors don’t like the changes.

“We’ve never had so much money coming from senior levels of government to pay for new infrastructure,” said Councillor Doug Graham, pointing to things like the federal gas tax.

“So many of the things the (development cost charges) are being used for are also being paid for by these other levels of funding.

“So to say they have to go up because costs are going up is really a mistaken idea.”

But the city hasn’t increased its development cost charges since 1996, and it needs to play catch up.

“What happens when we fall back on our increases is that it affects the cost of construction of infrastructure,” said Gau.

“The collection of fees hasn’t kept up. If they don’t rise we’ll be forced to supplement with taxes.”

The fees are increased in relation to the Canadian Price Index, making the charges half of what they would be if they were pegged to the non-residential building construction index, said Gau.

But the costs are still high and they’re stifling growth, said Graham.

“How can you ever build low-cost housing if the cheapest lot you’ll find is $80,000 to $90,000 and then we tack on another few thousand,” he said.

“Everything we do is going to increase the cost of housing in Whitehorse and I think the costs are already out of sight because we don’t have any lots on the market.”

Graham also pointed out that the only developer that doesn’t have to pay the charges is the Yukon government.

Council votes on the proposed increases next Monday.

Just Posted

Win some, lose some: Whitehorse council approves 5 of 7 infill parcels

‘I don’t think anyone has the right to say “my neighborhood is sacred, no one can come here”’

Proposed Whitehorse capital budget heavy on infrastructure funding

‘We’ve seen an unprecedented amount of infrastructure dollars from the federal government’

Victoria Gold plugs into power purchase agreement with Yukon Energy

Power company estimates mine near Mayo will spend $100 million on power over 10 years

Lack of staff closes Watson Lake’s only daycare

Facility can’t afford to pay competitive wages to attract staff, board president says

Straight and true: the story of the Yukon colours

Michael Gates | History Hunter Last week, I participated in the 150th… Continue reading

Get ready to tumble: Whitehorse’s Polarettes to flip out at fundraiser

‘There’s a mandatory five-minute break at the end, just so people don’t fall over’

Alaska’s governor goes to China

There are very different rules for resource projects depending on which side of the border you’re on

Yukon survey shows broad support for legal pot

But there’s no consensus on retail and distribution models

Yukon government releases survey on the territory’s liquor laws

Changes could include allowing sale of booze in grocery stores

Get family consent before moving patients to other hospitals: NDP critic

‘Where is the respect and where is the dignity?’

Bill C-17 passes third reading in House of Commons

The bill, which will repeal controversial amendments made to YESAA by Bill S-6, will now go to Senate

White Pass and Yukon Route musical chugs on without director

The cast and crew of Stonecliff are pushing forward without Conrad Boyce, who went on medical leave

Most Read