Canada Games Centre reopens following bomb threat

The Canada Games Centre in Whitehorse was evacuated Feb. 24 after someone called in a bomb threat against the facility.

The Canada Games Centre in Whitehorse was evacuated Feb. 24 after someone issued a bomb threat against the facility.

Police said CGC staff found a written note containing the threat. Officers, including police service dogs and the bomb disposal unit, were called in, said RCMP Insp. Archie Thompson.

“We’ve since cleared the building and we can tell you that building is now safe,” he said.

In a later news release, police said “investigators were able to confirm that the threat was not credible” around 4:15 p.m.

Police and emergency officials began evacuating patrons from the building shortly after 2 p.m.

City bylaw officers were directing traffic out of the facility’s parking lot. Authorities closed the turning lane from Hamilton Boulevard and access to the Whitehorse Cross Country Ski Club.

The centre was reopened for the public by 5 p.m. Whitehorse city manager Christine Smith said the evacuation took about 10 minutes. She said citizens responded well to instructions to clear out.

Smith could not say how many people were in the building at the time of the evacuation order, but estimated the parking lot was about three-quarters full.

Jessica Apolloni, the city’s manager of strategic communications, said nobody had been injured. She said police originally expected the investigation to take between five and seven hours.

A hockey tournament had been going on at the games centre. Staff contacted tournament organizers to let them know the building was open again.

RCMP said the Major Crimes Unit is still investigating. Anyone with information is asked to call police at 867-667-5555.

With files from Chris Windeyer

Contact Ashley Joannou at ashleyj@yukon-news.com

This story was last updated at 7:45 p.m. Feb. 24.

Just Posted

YG awards Nares River bridge contract

$12.6 M crossing will replace dilapidated wooden span

Yukon government outlines proposed pot rules

Opposition says revealed plans short on specifics

Yukon Court of Appeal to hear arguments in Blackjack case

Family of Carmacks woman who died during 2013 medevac wants public inquiry

Casino aims to start YESAB panel review by end of 2018

‘Elephant in the room’ a 286-metre tailing pond wall

Erebus or bust: Sailing the Northwest Passage

Even today, weather still scrambles the best laid plans of mariners

Alexander Street improvements are a go

Council votes to allow LIC amid misgivings surrounding voting system

The Yukon’s health care crisis cannot continue

The government needs to stop reacting in crisis mode and plan for the future

Lesson spurned: The New Zealand sales tax experience

Would it have worked here? Looks like we’ll never know

Feds give $7.5M for community spaces at future Yukon French high school

The funding will help build the gym, theatre and kitchen, Education Minister Tracy-Anne McPhee says

New bylaw would standardize advisory committee process

‘There’s an obvious effort to ensure transparency’

Moving patients is bad policy

Home care > hospitals

Human rights hearing over Destruction Bay pantsing put off until next year

Motel co-owner accused in case did not attend hearing due to illness

Most Read